suppliers of horn?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
LAH

suppliers of horn?

Post by LAH »

I'm trying to find a place to order horn from, I've found a few for horn spacers but nothing of longer horn pieces. If any of you guys have any dealers that you recommend it would be greatly appreciated.

Abe
taharris

Re: suppliers of horn?

Post by taharris »

I've used Water Buffalo horn before. I got it from here:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... buff?Args=

If you want something larger you might check with some of the knife making forums.

Todd
OregonCustom

suppliers of horn?

Post by OregonCustom »

I've dealt with these folks. Product was good, service was, well, the product was good!
http://www.boonetrading.com/
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
LAH

Post by LAH »

Thanks guys, just what I'm looking for.

Nate, have you used the elforyn before, if so how does it look? I've bought various faux Ivory blanks before and they just don't look like the real stuff.

Abe
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

LAH wrote:Thanks guys, just what I'm looking for.

Nate, have you used the elforyn before, if so how does it look? I've bought various faux Ivory blanks before and they just don't look like the real stuff.

Abe
Nothing looks like the real stuff, but Elforyn is really nice material. Smells good too. :)

Rad
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I have a few white tailed deer antlers that are collecting dust, guess thats not horn but its similar and the deer lived to grow another set. ;) I could provide a photo if anyone was interested, I think its ok to put them in the mail?
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

futodugouts wrote:I have a few white tailed deer antlers that are collecting dust, guess thats not horn but its similar
Not similar in any way except for the growing on top of some critter's head bit, actually. :wink:

Antler is bone, horn is keratin, same stuff as most folks' fingernails are made of. I say most, because Rad and Sas obviously are growing antler fingernails given the way they use them... :shock:
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I trimmed the horns on my pet goat when he was little and I remember it was cutting into a hockey puck.. he might be mad if i sneak up on him with the trimmers for pipe material ;)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

You may have already found what you're looking for, but I got some really nice Indian Water Buffalo Horn from Woodturningz.com about a week ago. I got 10 blanks, and they're just awesome! The stuff is a bit "different" to turn, and has a very "unique" smell. But it looks great and has a very different feel to it.

Their blanks come pre-turned round (3/4"+ X 5" long), so they're easy to deal with. A lot easier than just some randomly shaped horn like I've gotten elsewhere.

It's not expensive either at just over $5 each.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Are those water buffalo blanks at woodturningz stabilized?

Water buffalo horn is great to look at, but man is it sensitive to environmental conditions. You'll get it all shaped just right, then when the humidity rises or drops, it changes shape completely. Or heaven help you if you get it hot. That shit just curls right up. It also likes to crack and split.

Stabilizing would probably take care of most of that, I would imagine. But it doesn't make up for the smell.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com