first bent pipe in a long long while

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wow! I'm almost kinda shocked!

I like it a lot, Random. It's a pretty much in stark contrast to some of your other pipes - which is not to say I don't like your others, because I do. What most impresses me is that it's a bent pipe. :) You don't mention, is this a onepiece, or is the stem removable?

I almost want the stem to be bent *slightly* more. Not much, just a little, to better follow the line begun by the shank. Pictures can be deceiving though, so keep that in mind.

The rustication looks alomost like a reverse pebble grain. That must have taken a long time. It's good, but, but in some spots it doesn't seem random enough - with the bit touching down right next to the last place it was, some even in a row. This isn't a bad thing - it just shows up in the pictures, especially since the pictures show it about twice its actual size.

All in all, most excellent. I think buyers of "traditional" shapes will be very drawn to it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:
kurthuhn wrote: All in all, most excellent. I think buyers of "traditional" shapes will be very drawn to it.
That's what I'm wondering. I'm trying to home in on what calls out to the most people and then lean that direction. As I make more pipes, my carving skills seem to be improving, slowly; now sometimes a pipe actually looks like what I envisioned. When I get lucky. <g>
I've found that, for all the carvers making wonderful new freehand shapes, the bread and butter (at least for me) is the catalog shapes. I sell more churchwardens, bulldogs, and billiards than I can easy count. The big freehands tend to hang around on the site for a long time.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com