Maple Burl (fixed) - lessons I learned today

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Blueb3

Maple Burl (fixed) - lessons I learned today

Post by Blueb3 »

Got a neat looking piece of maple burl from woodcraft the other day, as well as a nice piece of orange osage. The maple burl block had a neat looking grey plateau across an entire edge, really a beautiful piece of wood for $10. Sketched out the pipe I wanted to make, a huge sitting freehand using TONS of plateau. Drilled my holes, everything lined up on the first shot! Off to a great start! took the coping saw to it to remove a couple of large chunks that were in the way... this stuff cuts FAST! Hit it with the belt sander and it's taking shape in record time, I'm loving walnut! start stepping up on the grits, and the scratches from the previous grades disappear with minimal effort/time!

Then I make my first mistake. I had read that the best thing for maple is to just oil it, and try and keep it as natural as possible, but *I* in my infinite wisdom, busted out the fiebing's dye... in YELLOW! Oh dear lord, this is why you don't drink beer in between sanding grades >.< The wood SOAKED it up like it was dieing of thirst, and it stayed ELECTRIC YELLOW and looked like complete booty! So, stepped down to 150 grit to get rid of the stain, and this is where I made my second mistake. I totally didn't think about things like... situational awareness. Like how close to my drilled holes the deep, penetrating, pain in the.. stain reached. Next thing I know, my finger goes THROUGH the side of the pipe! :banghead: So, I said screw it, and continued to remove the dye and get it to as close to bare wood as I could, it was either that or try and devise an unique and horrible fate for the block of orange osage I have sitting on the workbench.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, and maybe I'll pick up another block of maple burl too. I mean, really; it's a great materiel, carves and sands like a dream, and as long as you're not half drunk, and full durr, you can make a great pipe out of it :D
Last edited by Blueb3 on Sun May 20, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taharris

Re: Walnut Burl - lessons I learned today

Post by taharris »

Some people are allergic to Black Walnut and break out from contact with the dust. I think it has something to do with naturally occurring oils in the wood.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is a good idea to smoke out of it.

I think it would be OK to smoke out of an Osage Orange pipe, but you may want to search the internet to be sure.

If you want to carve pipes with less expensive alternate wood I would recommend Cherry or any fruit tree wood.

And, by all means, post pictures.

Todd
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

There are previous posts about which woods are toxic, search thru the posts, you'll find it (good reference for those of us using anything but briar!!).

If you are using these woods as an experiment, have fun !!!

If you are using these since they are cheap, let me know, I have some cheap briar for sale.

Reguardless, I always love to see pics of different woods being used, have fun!!
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

It was a mix of both, went there to get some olive and osage, and they had a whole shelf full of burl... /drool! I know that regular broadleaf maple (it was maple burl, not walnut, my bad) dust can be a skin irritant, but I had no problems being covered in a nice thick layer of sawdust :)

Here's some pics:
Before the stain

After getting rid of the stain

Need a bigger fill!
Ocelot55

Re: Maple Burl (fixed) - lessons I learned today

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ouch! Hey look on the bright side, it actually has a pretty nice shape...except for the big hole in the side. :mrgreen:

Oh well. You live and learn. The good news is that you'll be very aware of where your holes are from now on.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I know what its like to make that mistake. (I am so stupid I have done it more than once.) If you want to go with the glass is half full perspective at least you will always know how much tobacco is left in the bottom of the bowl!
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

LOL! Oh well, on the plus side, this was a QUICK pipe to make. We're talking one evening from start to finish. Like I said, this wood was a dream to work with, cut super quick, and sanded down in no time flat.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I might be wrong here but did you use a straight sided chamber bit? If so thats where most of your problem lies, for conical bowls you need a conical bit.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "fixed"? Maybe my English is bad;)
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

If you want to go with maple for a pipe, be sure it's sugar maple, aka rock maple. Bigleaf/Ambrosia maple is almost as soft as pine and will burn out just as quickly.
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

JonBood wrote:I'm sorry but what do you mean by "fixed"? Maybe my English is bad;)
"Fixed" was because I originally put "walnut" instead of "maple"

and thanks Alan for the advice. This was broadleaf maple, and yes, super soft. Mostly just an experiment to mess around with, that's why I'm not too ticked about the holes (noticed a pin hole in the shank as well)
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I have some box elder burl (the locals here call it manitoba maple). thought it would be way too soft to smoke out of but it looks really cool lots of eyes and red streaks, might look cool in an extension.. is that a faux pas using burl wood with your burl wood?
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

It's your work, make what you want! If it looks neat, and you like it, that's all that matters.