Bench buffers

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
RobbieG

Bench buffers

Post by RobbieG »

Hi all,

My friend and I are making our first pipes, and we're looking for a buffer to do the final polishing and applying carnauba wax. However, the buffers I am finding at Harbor Freight and Sears run roughly 3500 RPM, which, from what I've read, seems about twice as fast as what I want. Furthermore, it would be nice to get a combo grinder and buffer like this one, but that one is 8" instead of 6", giving me an even faster speed (and making it not compatible with 6" buffing wheels). There's this variable speed grinder that can go down to 2000 RPM, but will I have a hard time buffing with those guards on it (I don't think they are easily removed)?

Doing some reading on here, people talk about getting a 1/3 HP, 1750 RPM motor and mounting buffing wheels on that. But where do I find one of those? Are variable/multi-speed buffers just hard to come by?

Thanks for the input,

Robbie G

Update: In case interested, here are some pics of the pipe so far. I have stems coming from JH Lowe coming, and I'll finish the shank once I get them.
Last edited by RobbieG on Sun May 13, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdteipen

Re: Bench buffers

Post by wdteipen »

Do you have a wood lathe? If so, the 3-in-1 mandrels work well. Penn State Industry makes one for almost half the price of the Beal one sold at Woodcraft.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RobbieG

Post by RobbieG »

wdteipen wrote:Do you have a wood lathe? If so, the 3-in-1 mandrels work well. Penn State Industry makes one for almost half the price of the Beal one sold at Woodcraft.
Nope, no lathe. Did all the shaping by hand with rasps, files, and sand paper.
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

I use a variable speed grinder for buffing. For mine, I just dismantled the guard on the right side to expose the shaft and mounted an arbor on the end.
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Sears sells a much better grinder. I actually just bought one last night. I would stay away from Harbor Freight's grinder.

6-in Variable Speed Bench Grinder Model No. 351.211540

It runs about $130, but is well worth the money, plus you can get a 3 year total coverage warranty for 20 bucks more. It will cover the times that you get pissed at the little devil, and proceed to beat the fire out of it with a baseball bat. :twisted:

I took off the guards for the wire brush side in about 5 minutes. All you need to do that is a phillips head screw driver. Replacing the wire wheel would require an adjustable wrench, and the tool that comes with the grinder. I plan on converting it to a sanding disc, since I have a buffing system on my lathe.

Hope this helps.
RobbieG

Post by RobbieG »

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Gershom, that's one of the ones I was looking at, and I think I'm going to go ahead and get it, especially knowing how easy it is to take that guard off now.
RobbieG

Post by RobbieG »

Gershom wrote:I plan on converting it to a sanding disc, since I have a buffing system on my lathe.
One more question. I don't think the grinder's arbor will accept a 6" buffing wheel. Do I need something to to convert the arbor? Where do I get that?
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RobbieG wrote:
Doing some reading on here, people talk about getting a 1/3 HP, 1750 RPM motor and mounting buffing wheels on that. But where do I find one of those? Are variable/multi-speed buffers just hard to come by?
If you search eBay for "1/3 hp electric motor" you'll find hundreds of them. Most of them are HVAC related units. You'll find plenty for around $50.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I think Sears even sells a buffing system for that grinder. Check their website, or store.