First pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RAY

First pipe

Post by RAY »

I did a couple of practice pipes with maple blocks before finally finishing my first briar pipe the piece was small so I added a shank of maple and rosewood and it was also my first rustication to hope you guys like it. :) sorry if the pics are not to clear

Last edited by RAY on Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yarnspinner

Post by Yarnspinner »

Hi, Ray! I'm a newbie here, too!

Can't see the pics in your post. I made the same mistake and ended up posting them in the Photo Gallery here at Tyler's forums. Give that a shot so we can see your work! I'm looking forward to it! :D

------------------

Well slap me and call me an idiot! ;) I see that you've done just that!

I really like the rosewood/maple extension you used--the contrast between the dark and the light wood is very nice!

Just out of curiosity (and I hope I'm not violating any pipemaking secrets taboos here) how did you do your rustication?
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Yarnie,

Look to the left of this page under pipemaking. Click on finishing, then on rustication. You should see Tyler's rustication tool when you get there.

Ray's pipe looks like it was done with a tool similar to this one.

Hope this helps,

Rad
Nick

Post by Nick »

Heya Ray,

Nice looking pipe there.
RAY

Post by RAY »

Thanks guys,

Yarnie I just went nuts with a dremel tool but as Rad showed you also can use that Rustication tool with the dremel for a better look. :)

Ray
Yarnspinner

Post by Yarnspinner »

RadDavis wrote:Look to the left of this page under pipemaking. Click on finishing, then on rustication. You should see Tyler's rustication tool when you get there.
LOL! I went and looked at Tyler's rustication tool and Mrs. Spinner happened to be walking by behind me and commented, "What kind of weapon is THAT?!" I told her it was for REALLY tough customers! ;)

Quite impressive...and not just a little bit scary! 8O

Thanks, Rad!
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ray, that's one heck of a bend! How does she handle (astheticaly speaking)? I like the pipe. The turn in the stem is very harsh but somehow seems to "fit" to me. Great FIRST pipe... geezo! I'm embarassed to show pics of my first :roll:
RAY

Post by RAY »

Thanks Ben,
Yeah the bend is kind of big but I thought it fit ok so I left it. Oh and as all of you pros say the pipe cleaner test thingy it passes that and it smokes real good I'm pretty satisfied with it .

Mahalo
Ray :D
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Wow - a bent churchwarden with billiard (?) style bowl. I like! How does it handle when you smoke it? I imagine you could hold the bowl while sitting in a chair reading a book. Call it a "Reader"?

Nice job!
RAY

Post by RAY »

Thanks AAdomeit,, it smokes real good and yeah it goes good with the Current Issue of Pipes and tobaccos magazine.

Mahalo
Ray