Everybody go read this...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Everybody go read this...

Post by Tyler »

Alden

Re: Everybody go read this...

Post by Alden »

That was a great read, and a great site. I think I've read just about everything there.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Edward wrote:That was a great read, and a great site. I think I've read just about everything there.
Well, now that you mention it, I've never read anything else on that site. I guess I need to go back are puruse it.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Theres not a ton of interviews, but all of them are this level. Lots of insight.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

He's the first guy I think I've seen explicitly link technical skill and artistic/compositional success, and I definitely agree with that.

The problem of having "a style" or developing a style over time is that the less experienced maker has a tough time deciding on what's "style" and what's a lack of ability or vision. I've certainly had pipes that just sat on the shelf for a month while I tried to figure out what the stem "should" look like. Obviously Cornelius has transcended that, and that's lovely - I can see it in the distance; certainly most pipes are much much easier for me now that I have a couple hundred under my belt, and I assume after 1000 it's that much clearer.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks for posting this! What a great interview.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Leus

Post by Leus »

Yup, great interview.

This is a remarkably good site. I've been out of reading online about pipes for a long time.

Oh, this is another good interview:

http://tobaccodays.com/articles/who-is- ... e-minutia/
sethile

Post by sethile »

This is a great interview! It was really interesting to read what Cornelius had to say, especially how he focuses on the pipes he is excited about making as opposed to the established shapes, what he thinks will sell, or what is commissioned, and encouraging his own style in the process. Thanks for the link, Tyler!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto! Thanks, Tyler.
andrew

Post by andrew »

This was an interesting read. Not sure I quite agree with everything he says, but the core approach he has taken has led to incredible results. Kinda hard to argue with that. I know exactly what he is talking about when he discusses commission shapes being a challenge. I find much more joy in addressing each piece of wood as an individual project, no forced agenda.

I think I find myself thinking more along the lines of Jeff Gracik. I believe that there is a great deal of honor and creativity involved in reinterpreting past works of great artists. If it were not for their efforts we would not be where we are today. To carbon copy their work is one thing, to reinterpret is another. Sometimes the line is a little gray. I'm still trying to find my "voice" and will be for some time. I for one did not have the benefit of a very artistic upbringing, art just wasn't a large part of our lives. I find myself gravitating toward art more at this point in life, it helps to have great artists for anchor points while I am busy chasing the elusive "voice" thing. I'm meaning everything above in the most humble way possible, so if anything sounds grandiose or whatever, that's not how it's meant. Just feeling a little contemplative tonight. Take care. Smoke something tasty.