Using a Sander/Grinder Combo for Shaping

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Using a Sander/Grinder Combo for Shaping

Post by Gershom »

Do any of you guys use a 1 inch sander/grinder combo for shaping pipes? This is what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/J-4002-1-Inch-42- ... B00381YI9M

I would think it would help in those hard to reach places, and would "give" a bit more than a disc sander.
Also, you could square the block the disc sander part.

I ask because I am looking at a couple on Craigslist that are a bit cheaper.

Thanks for your opinions.
Carlos

Re: Using a Sander/Grinder Combo for Shaping

Post by Carlos »

We have used similar models to that at the Chicago Pipe Seminar the past couple years I have been there. Seems to do a good job. The instructors have little difficulty using them. Rookies like myself need to pay attention as it's a high speed sander. Can really eat briar. Hard as heck on fingernails. I have seen some where the fence behind the sanding belt was removed and experienced pipe makers can shape the belt with their fingers. But I think that's not recommended because of it's speed. I saw good work done with the disk sander. But not anything I did.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I have a combo sander and do very little shaping on it. I find it does go too fast, and as previously mentioned, it can eat briar faster that you want it to. I have used it in the past for some hard to reach areas, but mostly I use the disk to square off the block and the 1" belt to do a little stem work. From what I've read, you'd be better off trying to set up a slack sander. I wouldn't mind trying one myself.

Brian.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I agree with Growley. The old hands make it look easy to shape a pipe on something like that, but you can take off way too much material way to fast. I only rough shape with a disk sander and do all the refining with files. It takes longer, but its also harder to screw up, which is a good thing if your a novice like me.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I use the Delta belt/disc sander combo like this one but I made a lot of modifications. I stripped down the guard around the disc then removed their disc and added a mandrel that Kurt Huhn makes and sells. In other words, I removed all the safety features because they get in the way [enter disclaimer here]. I have several rubber backed hook and loop discs of various grit that I mounted to that to do the bulk of my shaping. I rough shape with 80 grit then touch up before hand sanding with 220. I pretty much stopped using any other grits. Unfortunately, the limitation of this unit is that unless you set on a left corner of a bench that you have access to the left side and front you have to move the unit for access to the 1" belt unless you can use it from the side which I cannot. I wouldn't spend $400+ on one though. I got my Delta on sale at Lowe's for $80. It was a bit over $100 new if I remember correctly. Good luck.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Oh yeah. If you go that route and modify like I did, you'll need a pulley puller to get that stinking hard disc off the motor shaft.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I have one of these from grizzly that I use for squaring blocks and rough shaping. I also remove the safetly guards for use while shaping. This is by no means the best tool for the job, but on my limited budget, it is well worth the $100 I paid for it and I'll continue to use it until I move and have more than a 5 ft. work bench. Here's the setup I have by the way, with the belt/sander combo on the left.

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Mine I use for squaring blocks, although I find that in most cases the disc is just that little bit too small. The belt I use in some cases for stemwork, like saddles etc.
I'd say try and go cheap on this. You'll definitely use it, but money can rather be spent on other tools and machinery.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the wisdom imparted.

I definitely will not spend that much for it, but I am looking for a good 80 dollar one. I also would remove the guards as well, and possibly replace the disc for one of Kurt's.

Do they make the belts in higher grits? 400, 600?
Growley

Post by Growley »

Gershom wrote:Do they make the belts in higher grits? 400, 600?
I'm sure someone does, but for my Grizzly unit it looks like Grizzly themselves only offers as high as 220 for belts.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Gershom wrote:Do they make the belts in higher grits? 400, 600?
http://www.trugrit.com/belts1.htm these guys have them up to 1000 grit, if it's a 1x42. They have pretty much every grit made for every belt made.
K.Anastasopoulos

Post by K.Anastasopoulos »

I have exactly the same Axeminster model! It is great!
You can put a dimmer between the on/off switch for lower speed!
And you can find belts in any grid you want but be careful to be soft the opposite side of the belt for not burning your fingers!