2 new pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

2 new pipes

Post by Nate »

jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: 2 new pipes

Post by jogilli »

Nate

both are nice.. but I must say that the second is my favorite

nicely done
james
mredmond
Site Supporter

2 new pipes

Post by mredmond »

I like 'em!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I really like the two.
Best regards.
Félix

Me gustan mucho, las dos.
Saludos.
Félix
taharris

Post by taharris »

Nate,

Those are sweet pipes. I love the finish on No. 2. Is it a really light blast?

Todd
Nate

Post by Nate »

taharris wrote:Nate,

Those are sweet pipes. I love the finish on No. 2. Is it a really light blast?

Todd
Thanks everyone!!!

Yeah Todd, the blast isn't too deep on it.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Great work, N8. I really like the first one. It's high on the list of my favorite pipes you've made so far.

A couple things I notice on the second that I think could be better. First, the shank is a tad heavy for the diameter of the bowl. Not bad though. The saddle would be better if longer and more crisp. The gradual slope of your saddle comes off as amateurish to me. Obviously, there are folks that like it though so it could be a personal preference thing. I really like the blast and stain.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

A couple of pokers for the pipe show? They'll sell in no time!

Two more nice pipes Mr. King.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Nate,

On the first one, the angle of the shank comes off the bowl just slightly off 90 degrees (to the back of the bowl) enough to make it look like it's drooping just a tad. The heavy flair of the shank accentuates this. The radius at the shank/bowl junction and the lack of crisp lines there make the area look as if it's forming a bulge where the shank comes out of the pipe. Also, the line of the bowl at the bottom, underneath the shank seems to angle in toward the front accentuating the bulge look. If the bowl/shank junction were really sharpened up with crisp lines and the line of the bowl beneath the shank lined up with the line above the shank, the slight droop and the bulge would probably disappear.

On the second, one, I agree with Wayne about the heaviness of the shank and the saddle on the stem. They just don't seem to fit with the rest of the pipe. Is there a reason you didn't leave a smooth ring at the end of the shank where the stems joins it? The shank looks almost as if it arcs from the bowl to its end just slightly, both top and bottom. Also there's that same angle problem with the line of the bowl beneath the shank. I think this too could disappear if you clean up the lines to a much smaller radius where the shank joins the bowl.

It also has that bulge look where the shank comes off the bowl, which is accentuated by the large radius there.

Nice work!

Rad
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nate,

I really like the first pipe. The flair of the shank and stem are probably my favorite parts. I'm not experienced enough to pick up on all of what Rad said, but I noticed right away the lack of a smooth briar ring where the stem and shank meet. I can really see why that's important for a good transition. And I totally agree with Wayne's comments as well. Tightening up that saddle would speak volumes for your second pipe.

These are great though. The first one is a winner in my book. Nice job.

Brian.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I have always been attracted to Saggitarius. Too bad none of those relationships ever work out.

That's a great pipe though! :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Nate,
that is really a fresh wind,i am fond of the Sagittarius,it has a story to tell.

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Nate

Post by Nate »

RadDavis wrote:Hi Nate,

On the first one, the angle of the shank comes off the bowl just slightly off 90 degrees (to the back of the bowl) enough to make it look like it's drooping just a tad. The heavy flair of the shank accentuates this. The radius at the shank/bowl junction and the lack of crisp lines there make the area look as if it's forming a bulge where the shank comes out of the pipe. Also, the line of the bowl at the bottom, underneath the shank seems to angle in toward the front accentuating the bulge look. If the bowl/shank junction were really sharpened up with crisp lines and the line of the bowl beneath the shank lined up with the line above the shank, the slight droop and the bulge would probably disappear.

On the second, one, I agree with Wayne about the heaviness of the shank and the saddle on the stem. They just don't seem to fit with the rest of the pipe. Is there a reason you didn't leave a smooth ring at the end of the shank where the stems joins it? The shank looks almost as if it arcs from the bowl to its end just slightly, both top and bottom. Also there's that same angle problem with the line of the bowl beneath the shank. I think this too could disappear if you clean up the lines to a much smaller radius where the shank joins the bowl.

It also has that bulge look where the shank comes off the bowl, which is accentuated by the large radius there.

Nice work!

Rad
Thanks for the cues there Rad. I see what you mean and will keep a better tolerance on the bowl shank. I had used the 1/4" chainsaw file for the transition and it was as it should be, but I think I may have distorted the shape a touch with my blast. I will make certain to sharpen my lines in the future; I like sharp lines.

On the second, I had a bit of a flaw by the end of the shank (stem end) that's why I blasted up to the stem. I have seen some guys do that and it looks good, but didn't exactly turn out that way on mine. And on the stem, I wanted to do a tapered stem but it was just looking too clunky so I thinned it out. Again, didn't turn out very well. :)

Thanks for your comments!
Nate

Post by Nate »

wdteipen wrote:Great work, N8. I really like the first one. It's high on the list of my favorite pipes you've made so far.

A couple things I notice on the second that I think could be better. First, the shank is a tad heavy for the diameter of the bowl. Not bad though. The saddle would be better if longer and more crisp. The gradual slope of your saddle comes off as amateurish to me. Obviously, there are folks that like it though so it could be a personal preference thing. I really like the blast and stain.
Yeah, it wasn't even supposed to be a saddle. Note taken and will implement on the next! Thanks for the critique, it is always appreciated!