WTB Banding tool and bands!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
smokindawg

WTB Banding tool and bands!

Post by smokindawg »

I know that PME sells the tool and the bands, but thought someone here may have one that they don't use, or perhaps have made thier own. Maybe someone with an idea that will make the job easier, or a tool that I can make that will work just as well and save me some money on the tool itself.

I have a few pipes at times that could use a band, either for asthetics or to repair minor cracks and thought I would ask here first.

Have to save a $$ where we can.

Thanks.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
taharris

Re: WTB Banding tool and bands!

Post by taharris »

I use a parting tool to cut a groove on the shank and epoxy the band on.
Of course this only works when making a pipe, not retrofittiing one.

Todd
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I bought the PME banding tool about a month ago when it was on sale with some bands. While it is nice, it is something that anyone with some good metal working tools could make for themselves relatively cheap. All it is, is a block of steel with metal dowels sticking out to fit various sized mortises. Pretty simple.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Pretty much what I thought from looking at the tool. But thought I'd see if anyone had one for sale first. Guess I'll just have to get into the shop and make myself one, then just need to buy some bands.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I have one I can part with, one I originally ordered from PME, I also have an assortment of silver bands. Shoot me an offer, we'll go from there, or feel free to pm me.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

smokindawg, I tried to reply to your pm, but it wouldn't let me send it, so here is the reply;

I have both nickel and sterling silver bands. Nickel bands are 7/16" long and I have all diameters from 12mm to 19mm in 0.5mm increments, also have 22mm and 24mm (retail price of $1.75 each).

Sterling bands are 3/4"-13/16" long and diameters are 12mm to 19 mm in 0.5mm increments, (retail price of $5.75 each).

Banding tool retails for $40.00

Let me know what you would like and make an offer on a price.

Thanks, -Steve