Scofield "Apotropaic"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

Scofield "Apotropaic"

Post by bscofield »

Hey guys... This is the last one I made in with cherrywood. I'm anxious to whip this one up in briar. What do you think of the shape? I have finished it but haven't taken "finished" pictures. For those of you who have made more pipes with cherry than I have, how often do you run into those dark spots inside the wood (like on the bottom of the pipe in this picture)?

Nick

Post by Nick »

Pretty cool! I like the compact feel to the pipe. And the graining is very attractive. How's it smoke?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Ben,

That is a good looking pipe, I would love to see a pic of the finished product.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Scofield "Apotropaic"

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:Hey guys... This is the last one I made in with cherrywood. I'm anxious to whip this one up in briar. What do you think of the shape?
It's missing something, I'm not sure what though. The top of the stem seems to have a nice rounded shape, but the bottom seems to have a hump near the shank. Or maybe the transition from shank to stem is abrupt, and that's what's throwing me off.

Also, I think that the rakish angle of the top of the bowl is fighting with the angle on the front of the bowl, as well as with the stem. That same angle of the bowl top, mirrored on the horizontal plane, might have looked better. Or perhaps it should have stayed simply flat. Not sure.

I'm also not sure what to do with the bottom of the stummel. It seems at odds with itself.
I have finished it but haven't taken "finished" pictures. For those of you who have made more pipes with cherry than I have, how often do you run into those dark spots inside the wood (like on the bottom of the pipe in this picture)?
All of the cherry I have is clear, with no dark bands or spots. Makes me wonder if I got lucky, or what.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

I think Kurt's right, the back of the bowl should perhaps have stayed flat - the tip backwards makes it look unfinished. Kinda like a tree without leaves.

However, I like looking at the ashes in the bowl, seeing them glow, so the backward tilt on the bowl is a plus from that angle. It looks a bit heavy, a holder I imagine?

What finish will you use? I'd suggest a red on the bowl and shank. I think that'd look neat.

Looks good so far! (Sorry, this was full of backhanded compliments!!! :oops: )