A Quirky Question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Growley

A Quirky Question

Post by Growley »

I was just thinking about shaping the tobacco chamber, considering how some flute outward giving you a conical shape, and I started to wonder if there was an inverse application.

The best way I can describe what I'm thinking would be; If you were to make the outside shape of your bowl into a ball and carve out the inside in the same shape, meaning take off the same amount of material all the way around (or hollow out the ball), would there be any benefit to such a shape? Or, would there be any major disadvantages? For this question, let's assume your chamber opening is still at least 3/4 inch.

The first disadvantage I can see would be in packing it and potentially tamping it down.

I've got a friend who is a bowl carver and he carves out some wonderful shapes, hollowing them out through some very small openings. It just got me thinking....
Ocelot55

Re: A Quirky Question

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's an interesting thought.

I personally think that it wouldn't burn as well as a conical design.When you light the pipe you are applying flame to a smaller surface area of tobacco. I think it would tunnel like a poorly rolled cigar. That's just my thought though. It would be fun to see in practice.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Ocelot55 wrote:That's an interesting thought.

I personally think that it wouldn't burn as well as a conical design.When you light the pipe you are applying flame to a smaller surface area of tobacco. I think it would tunnel like a poorly rolled cigar. That's just my thought though. It would be fun to see in practice.
I agree. Pretty cool idea though. I bet it'd look pretty impressive!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hollowed-out ball pipes are in direct violation of the Geneva Conventions (GCIII (6) Art. 82-88)
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd think it would be difficult to light and keep lit under the edge, and it sure would take a lot of heat under there. Plus, you'd need to ask what advantage would be obtained for all the effort. Hollowing a 10" vessel is no small task, but I suspect it would be MUCH harder for a 7/8" bowl.

Give it a try though, and let us know!