IS ASH AN OPTION

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Dozuki

IS ASH AN OPTION

Post by Dozuki »

I have a good sized billet of wood I was going to use for a bow but don't think it will work for that so I was wondering if ash is an acceptable pipe wood. I really want to use this wood for something since my dad and I cut the tree down and split the wood about 15 years ago. Dad has passed on since then and I really want to use this wood. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Sasquatch

Re: IS ASH AN OPTION

Post by Sasquatch »

Ash is reasonably heat resistant, but what you'll find (eventually) is that tars will wick through the pores.

The big trouble with many woods, and I don't know about ash, especially, but with many, is that they absorb a lot of water, and then dry out, and this cycling will crack the wood.

Give it a try and see what happens.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

Personally, if I were you I would use the ash to make tools. I understand you want to make a pipe in your dad's memory from the wood you and he felled and split, but I personally feel that tools are a more durable and useful tribute to him.

I've made a few lathe tool handles out of ash that work great, but there are many more projects you could do with it.

Just my two cents. I don't have the whole story, so apologies if I've offended.
-=Pride is not a sin=-
Leus

Post by Leus »

What a great idea, frazeeg!
Dozuki

Post by Dozuki »

No No there is no offense taken a good idea is a good idea. Thanks now I know that a pipe may not be the best use of this wood. thanks a lot.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.