Frist Canadian Attempt

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Frist Canadian Attempt

Post by Growley »

As this is a more traditional shape than some of my most recent, I'd love to hear your critiques on this one. Shank to fat? to oval, stem to long?

The only thing I'll point out is the obvious imperfection on the shank. I just did't know what else to do with it. I tried to fill it but it's still really obvious. I probably should rusticate or blast it but didn't have the heart to try on this one.

Thanks for looking!

Brian.
Ocelot55

Re: Frist Canadian Attempt

Post by Ocelot55 »

Brian, that is a perfectly good Canadian. Although it may be an optical illusion it looks like the shank dips every so slightly in the center, but that's nitpicking, and I've seen other "high grade" Canadians with worse symmetry. As for proportions, I seem to recall that the shank length should be twice the bowl height, but I'll let the pros be the final voice on this one. Shank thickness? I prefer thin flat shanks, but I don't think that is anything other than personal preference.

I think that overall, your take on this shape is great. Someone will be proud to own that one, even with a fill on the shank. :thumbsup:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Nice looking pipe, though too bad about those flaws on the one side. I really like the stem material and the button looks really nice. Nice job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Growley

Post by Growley »

Ocelot55 wrote:Although it may be an optical illusion it looks like the shank dips every so slightly in the center, but that's nitpicking, and I've seen other "high grade" Canadians with worse symmetry.
Thanks for compliment. It's funny, you mentioned it looked like it might dip in the middle, I thought it got a bit bigger at the stem/shank connection. So I had to measure it. I whipped out the digital calipers and was pleasantly surprised that it measures 13mm all the way across with only a .03mm variance.

If I ever really start selling these I'm going to need to build a light box I think to get better pics.

I'd like to hear more on the dimensions if anyone knows the specifics. I love collecting that type of knowledge.

Also, if you have some examples of the flat stems you're talking about, would you mind emailing me a few pics? I looked around for some Canadian examples and couldn't find too many.

Thanks again.

Brian.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Ocelot55 wrote:Although it may be an optical illusion it looks like the shank dips every so slightly in the center, but that's nitpicking
Believe me, that isn't nitpicking. Long shanks need to be straight as a bug, or the look of the pipe is spoiled. When I make a long shank, the majority of my time is spent making sure the shank is straight, top and bottom, side to side.

Nice work, Brian! I'm pretty confident that you'll soon get the hang of this pipe making stuff. :P

Rad
Growley

Post by Growley »

Thanks Rad. ......Wait a minute....,are you just saying that so I'll buy more of your scrap blocks from you? :lol:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Ocelot55 wrote:I've seen other "high grade" Canadians with worse symmetry.
Petersons don't count as "high grade!"

It sure does look like there's a dip there; hopefully it is just an illusion.
Growley

Post by Growley »

e Markle wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:I've seen other "high grade" Canadians with worse symmetry.
Petersons don't count as "high grade!"

It sure does look like there's a dip there; hopefully it is just an illusion.
It's an illusion. It measures 13mm all the way across.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Growley wrote: I'd like to hear more on the dimensions if anyone knows the specifics. I love collecting that type of knowledge.
G.L. Pease writes that, "The Canadian is characterized by a billiard-like bowl, a long oval shank (typically about twice the bowl height) and a short, tapered stem."

Check out his explanation: http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/Billiards.php

That's all I can find right now on proper proportions. I also found it helpful to go to smokingpipes.com and search for canadian shaped pipes.

I've never made a canadian, but I figure it would be hell trying to get the shank just right. You knocked this one out of the park.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

What's such a nice pipe like that doing on the concrete!?!? Good job man. Keeping the shank straight is hard! I tried this shape a couple of times (before I knew they were called Canadians.) The shanks are hard to execute. People that progress as fast as you make me just want to give up. I GIVE UP! HAHAHAHA. Until I get back from the In-Laws, that is.

Merry Christmas.

Dave
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.