NEW EFFORT

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
oklahoma red

NEW EFFORT

Post by oklahoma red »

Up for your critique are my third and fourth pipes. My photographic skills are still in work so my apologies in advance.
The churchwarden stem is a pre-mold but the stem on the freehand is ebonite (won't tell how many I went thru to get this one).
Anyway, please tell me how I can improve.
Chas.

andrew

Re: NEW EFFORT

Post by andrew »

I'm sorry, I just teared up a little when I saw the grain on the second image.

Ok, I've composed myself. You did a great job with the contrast staining. It almost looks like you used three different layers. On the first one, you'd want to take more material off the back of the pipe above and under the shank. I think my favorite example of this is a pipe by Teddy Knudsen:
His pipe has a softer bowl/shank transition. The radius you leave between the bowl and shank is a bit part of whether the look is softer or cut to the bone. I think you're approaching a good balance. The fourth image shows some red discoloration on the underside of the shank. I can't tell from the image whether this is just stain that was not mopped up or if it is sanding that still needed to be finished.
Personally, I think your photography is fine. You used a light background with darker pipes and the light distribution is very even.

I'll let someone who does blasting give you feedback on the second. BTW, is this seriously your fourth pipe (and you have a blast setup)? Geeez. I'm gonna sit in the corner and sulk for a little while. I'm jealous of the blast setup and the pipes. My third and fourth pipes were not this good. Anyway, good job.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Very nice work there!
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

andrew wrote:I'm sorry, I just teared up a little when I saw the grain on the second image.

Ok, I've composed myself. You did a great job with the contrast staining. It almost looks like you used three different layers. On the first one, you'd want to take more material off the back of the pipe above and under the shank. I think my favorite example of this is a pipe by Teddy Knudsen:
His pipe has a softer bowl/shank transition. The radius you leave between the bowl and shank is a bit part of whether the look is softer or cut to the bone. I think you're approaching a good balance. The fourth image shows some red discoloration on the underside of the shank. I can't tell from the image whether this is just stain that was not mopped up or if it is sanding that still needed to be finished.
Personally, I think your photography is fine. You used a light background with darker pipes and the light distribution is very even.

I'll let someone who does blasting give you feedback on the second. BTW, is this seriously your fourth pipe (and you have a blast setup)? Geeez. I'm gonna sit in the corner and sulk for a little while. I'm jealous of the blast setup and the pipes. My third and fourth pipes were not this good. Anyway, good job.
Thanks.
What you are seeing in the 4th image is actually caused by the lighting I used. What I did have an issue with was getting carried away with buffing and removing some finish off of the sharp edges. I've yet to master all the goof ball settings on my digital camera. Give me 35mm film any day! Of course with film posting pics on web sites becomes a major pain in the arse!
Yes, 4th pipe but many more stems. They are killing me! Pipe 5 has been completed and is my entry in the billiard contest. If all the entry pics are not posted later on I'll put it up here. I have a blast cabinet at my business. Comes in quite handy.
Chas.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The ring grain on the second pipe is incredible. Both are very nice. On the churchwarden/poker I think the shank/bowl transition needs a little more definition. Nice job.