new billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

new billiard

Post by andrew »

Gentlemen, please remove your gloves. Comments must be:

Alright, so now I'm on a billiard kick. It's Ernie's fault. (This is actually a weakly disguised compliment and thank-you to Ernie for steering us new guys towards traditional shapes :D ) Let me know what you guys think. Gloves off please. It's late, this posting is a little loopy. Maybe Chuck Norris should run Congress. Off to bed. Good night all you night owls. Enjoy.

Thanks for comments and looking.
JMG

Re: new billiard

Post by JMG »

Good looking pipe, but you've got yourself more of a Canadian than a billiard. Either way, though...nice looking pipe. Your stem work is progressing nicely.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, gloves off. I don't think that the shape of the bowl is defined enough, especially at the shank/bowl junction. Also it looks like your shank narrows slightly as it approaches the bowl. This could be an optical illusion that would be fixed with either a slight taper or perhaps canting the bowl forward ever so slightly.

Well that was hyper-critical. Here's what I like about it:

EVERYTHING ELSE

I love the cumberland stem, the bit work looks nice, the staining looks incredible and the little hardwood ring looks amazing. Awesome job. A hell of a lot better than I could do. Keep em' coming.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd argue that it's more pot than billiard. Vertical walls, short and wide, bottom heavy shaping.... that's a pot. Now, this one isn't quite as short as a pot, but it's getting close. Particularly given the relation of the shank length, it optically shortens the bowl.

There is a little fudginess on the bowl/shank transition, but everything else technically looks pretty darn good.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Archer

Post by Archer »

That looks like hell.

You should send it to me so I can dispose of it properly.

:notworthy:
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nice work Andrew. I would have sworn the ring was part of the stem. It totally threw me off when I saw the last pic. Other than the previously mentioned comments I would "personally prefer" black delrin instead of the white.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I would have used black (white has got some funk factor), but my black was just a little too small. For some reason I chose white. I could have turned down some larger stock, but what the heck.

I really appreciate the input guys. Now to make MORE!!!
Archer

Post by Archer »

Maybe it will make me sound like a moron, but who cares.

What is that grayish ring on the outside of the mortise? Is that a coating or is it a delrin sleeve or something or other?
andrew

Post by andrew »

I've been dyeing the ends of my pipes black lately. The ends just seemed "naked", which isn't bad... but the black seems to be a little less boring to me. Eh. I think it came down to a feeling of completeness for me.

This thing is absolutely more of a "pot" than billiard, however, I was afraid someone would think it was tilting... I in no way want to ever be accused of making a tilted pot. Gives me flashbacks and heebee jeebees man, heebee jeebees.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ok, let's get this right people. The closest shape to this pipe is a Liverpool. But that has a billiardy bowl and not a pot. Geez! :twisted:

Nice work Andrew, agree with previous critiques. I'm not a big fan of white delrin but meh, it works doesn't it? In response to NewCarver, it discolors, black stays black, white doesn't stay white (at least in my experience). But as you noted, really doesn't matter much.
Archer

new billiard

Post by Archer »

Nate wrote:Ok, let's get this right people. The closest shape to this pipe is a Liverpool. But that has a billiardy bowl and not a pot. Geez! :twisted:

Nice work Andrew, agree with previous critiques. I'm not a big fan of white delrin but meh, it works doesn't it? In response to NewCarver, it discolors, black stays black, white doesn't stay white (at least in my experience). But as you noted, really doesn't matter much.
Say whaaa?

I was questioning the gray area on the mortise. This answer would be spot on if the question was why use black delrin as opposed to white. I agree with the black delrin tenon. Did I miss something?
andrew

Post by andrew »

So it was a little hard to categorize, fortunately someone liked it enough to give it a home (other than me). I really appreciate the input. Thanks all. Off to make more pipes!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I think it's great that you're thinking more about classics. That has had a huge impact on my overall ability to make a pipe.

Nice pipe. I think your finishing looks good, and I like a lot of the details: convex rim; slender ring; etc. A couple of the pics make the shank and stem seem a bit wavy, so you may want to look at that. I agree with the above; define the shank/bowl transition and the cheeks a bit more.

I think the biggest critique is that you need to breathe a bit of life into the shape. There's nothing wrong with it, but it needs a little more character. You're at a point where you can clearly make a nice pipe, and now you just need it to look like it was made by *Andrew* instead of by some guy who makes pipes for 5 hours a week in his basement. What prompts me to say this most is the shape of the bowl itself. There's nothing wrong with having parallel walls on the bowl. However, it's a bit... antiseptic? insipid? If you added a touch of character there, it would move it into another class.

How many pipes have you made btw?
andrew

Post by andrew »

No doubt about the bowl, straight walls have a certain... sterility to them. You're right about breathing life into a piece. I think this is where we start seeing if I have any real proclivity for this or not.

I think I'm somewhere between 25 to 30 or so as far as pipe count goes.