Hope I'm getting better...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
HumblePipe

Hope I'm getting better...

Post by HumblePipe »

Well, it has been a while and I sure do hope that there is some improvement in my work. I am really happy with this pipe, it smokes better than any I have ever made. It is smooth, and it stays lit consistantly. I really enjoy making pipes, and I hope that from watching you guys on here that some of your skill rubs off on me at some point. I am only working with a small belt sander, drill press, and some files and sandpaper. I hope to get a lathe sometime soon and a bandsaw as well. My stems never seem to fit flush yet, and I want to start making my own at some point as well. Any way, here it is, tear her apart :wink:

Sasquatch

Re: Hope I'm getting better...

Post by Sasquatch »

HP, how are you making tenons? Let's get the basics sorted, get it so you can make a nice joint, and then we can work on aesthetics.

I like the pipe, it reminds me of a little kid's hand, just holding on to something for dear life - "It's mine!"

I think some more material could come off the shank and the bowl near the shank - that telltale flat area where they meet has to go!

I think a tiny bend in the stem would look nice too.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

PS what kinda guitar is that??
Archer

Post by Archer »

COOL! :thumbsup:

I will post what I think most likely will be said, and it is a testament to the fact that I pay attention to the great guys here and that I have a loooooooooong way to go myself. :wink:

That said, I think this pipe looks nice. Its different. Maybe not my style, but its not hard on MY eyes. It has a soft curvy feminine look to it. Who don't like that? :D

So what will they say? Lets see (these are paraphrased, no smart-assiness implied):

The shank and stem are too thick, they need to be thinner. There also appears to be a slight taper from the back of the bowl to the stem/shank junction.

The top of the shank looks a little flat, which may be due to using a flat backing for the sandpaper to make sure the stem/shank transition is even.

It could use a little more defining at the bowl/shank bend.

Thats about it for those guys... :lol:

SO what can I say:
I like the stem color...what is it? It has a nice shimmer to it. Or does it? Did you hand-cut it? If so, nice job!

I also would consider a darker under stain to make that grain pop a little, it looks like its nice!

And this is one I am STILL guilty of...the appears to be a gap between the shank and stem...but you mentioned that.

This is a very nice pipe, no shame here, I think its a good effort using the tools you have. Trust me, I have more tools and it doesn't really make a difference...it just gets you there quicker, and in my case, probably sloppier!

Bottom line for ME is...if you are keeping it as a personal pipe, and enjoy how it smokes, then its a winner! The rest is all about learning and fine details...

*Edit*

Sas got to it while I was typing...
andrew

Post by andrew »

The shaping came out well. I like the plateaux left on the rim. Sas gave you some good advice on the shank/stem transition. Definitely something you want to spend some time on. Tools for helping out with that can be had from Pimo Pipecraft. Looks like you are taking your time with finishing, that's good. Keep at it. You've got the tools to make a decent pipe. It's just a matter of learning to use them properly. The first pipes I made were using a wobbly Harbor Freight drill press. I could have posted some popular Youtube videos of that process... I once (or twice) chucked up a churchwarden stem to turn down a tenon for a mortise. The stem snapped after a scary whipping motion. Don't do that. Anyway, good luck.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Sasquatch wrote:PS what kinda guitar is that??
Sas, that is an Eastman E10 OM model acoustic. It has an adirondack top and mahogany back and sides. I like to call this my Martin killer, it sounds as good as the high end models and is a fraction of the price. If you play you should definitely check this brand out.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Newcarver wrote:COOL! :thumbsup:

I like the stem color...what is it? It has a nice shimmer to it. Or does it? Did you hand-cut it? If so, nice job!

Newcarver, thank you for all of your advice, I know what you and Sas mean about about working on the shank and stem. Also, the stem I bought from pipe makers emporium, it was a brownish shade and I out some of a buckskin dye on it and now it actually looks kind of like a tigereye type shade.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Andrew, thanks for your comments as well!

Sas, I am making my tenons by hand by filing and sanding. It is the only way I can do it as of right now.
Archer

Post by Archer »

HumblePipe wrote:Andrew, thanks for your comments as well!

Sas, I am making my tenons by hand by filing and sanding. It is the only way I can do it as of right now.
I know you didnt address it to me, but in light of that comment youre not doing bad with them, I bet its a pain though! At the very least I would recommend doing your very best to get that PIMO tenon tool, its not THE BEST, but it is somewhat affordable and will help with the squaring/facing of the stem above the tenon. When/if you buy a lathe, just go ahead and get a metal lathe, as you can do both wood and metal precisely on it, as opposed to my wood lathe that is limited to my ability to be precise, which is very narrow!
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Newcarver, I think I am going to save the money I would spend on the tenon tool and put it towards the lathe. How much more of difference in price is it for metal lathes over wood lathes. I know this is a loaded question or answer rather... :lol:
Alden

Post by Alden »

HumblePipe wrote:Newcarver, I think I am going to save the money I would spend on the tenon tool and put it towards the lathe. How much more of difference in price is it for metal lathes over wood lathes. I know this is a loaded question or answer rather... :lol:
I found my BD920 used for $800, it wasnt really a steal but I consider it a good price after watching Craigslist for awhile.
You might find a metal lathe cheaper, but I would say you're at least $600 for a good machine.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Yep, its definately more than a $65 dollar drill bit tool thingy!

(Prepare for bashing here)
I suppose if you were terribly cheap and in a bind you could go to Harbor Freight and get that $400 metal lathe!

I wished I had bought a metal lathe instead of my wood one, but at the time I didnt even think of pipemaking, all I cared about was bowls and such!
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Edward, thank you for that. A metal lathe may be out of my price range for a little while so I may stick to the wood lathe. Not sure I can justify that much to the wife... Ugh... Speaking of that, I think it was Newcarver that said the pipe looked feminine, I have decided to call my pipe The Gumar which is Italian slang for mistress since my wife feels like I would rather spend time making pipes than with her :wink:
Archer

Post by Archer »

In that case, we are all whores, and need marriage counseling! :lol:
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Ha ha, nice!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If you did delrin tenons, you could do it all on the drill press and get a perfect fit.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Nice pipe there Humblepipe. I can't add anything that hasn't already been stated. Just keep at it! You're doing very well with the tools you have. I can't remember, did you say you have a Dremel tool? Never take the Dremel for granted and they're relatively inexpensive. You're skills will develop with each pipe you make. My pipes are far from being great but I can tell that I'm getting a better feel for it. It's like Tyler explains in the open letter to new pipe makers...."Just make pipes!"
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Sas, I bought some delrin and have been making tenons with it. I have noticed a world of difference, thanks so much for the advice.!