what kind of tobacco do I like?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
bscofield

what kind of tobacco do I like?

Post by bscofield »

Tyler's post got me thinking... well, actually, it got me confused! I have no idea what Syrian Latakia, how to pronounce "latakia," nor that there even was a disaster!

This has been my big week spot in my pipe facination. I have no idea what tobaccos are what and what I like. I just read a page with a good short description on the types so I know what latakia type tobacco is. But I don't know what Syrian Latakia is or if I would like it, etc.

Could someone give me a list of stereotypical examples of each type of tobacco that are frequently mentioned? Meaning like a brand/type that I could purchase somewhere and try. The types I know of are:

Virginia
Burley
Spice Tobacco
Oriental
Latakia
Perique
Kentucky
Cavendish

That's from that page I found. I also here other types thrown around like "English." What else am I missing?

Thanks guys!

Happy thanksgiving!~
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Greg Pease has a great article on latakia here:
http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Latakia.html

His writings are *extremely* fun to read.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Virginia -- The core of most high quality pipe tobaccos. A naturally sweet tobacco. E.g. Christmas Cheer, Dark Star, 5100

Burley -- A base leaf for lots blends that adds depth or bass to the typical high notes of a virginia. Barbary Coast, Half and Half, Cumberland

Spice Tobacco -- this is a category of tobaccos that are added to blends in (usually) small quantities: latakia, orientals, and perique being the most common.

Oriental -- A term that encapsulates several varieties of small tobacco leaves that grow in the middle- and near- East. Techinically, Latakia is a type of Oriental. E.g. Balkan Sobranie

Latakia -- A very common spice tobacco that adds a VERY noticable fragrance toa blend: it smells like it has been bar-b-qued. This is because the leaf is smoke cured. There are two main types: Cyprian and Syrian, based, ass is probably obvious, on where they are grown. Cyprian is the more commonly used. E.g. Dunhill 965, (most Dunhill blends for that matter), Balkan Sobranie, Renessiance.

Perique -- A fermented leaf that is technically grown only in St. James Perish in Louisiana. Most perique these days is not from there though, and is a copy "artificial" perique. (BTW, I visited the only perique farm in the world this summer. I spent time with Percy Martin in his living room, then went into his barn and bought some perique from him. I'll never forget that time, particularly the smell in the barn!) E.g. Three Nuns, Haddos Delight, Escudo

Kentucky -- A type of Burley. GLPease Cumberland

Cavendish -- This is a very vague term. Typically it applies to very a heavily cased tobacco; however, it can also refer to the cut and/or curing method of the tobacco. E.g. Most drug store aromatics

As for English style tobaccos that is another difficult one. Some use it to describe anything that does not have flavor additives, and some use it to describe non-flavored blends that have latakia. Either way, it shouldn't have a flavoring added.

I hope this helps. In case I'm mistaken, unclear, or have left anything out, I hope someone else will jump in here and correct that.

Tyler