16-11 'Atomar'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

16-11 'Atomar'

Post by Nate »

3-knuckle bamboo shank cherrywood.

http://www.natekingpipes.com/2011/11/16-11-atomar/

Alden

Re: 16-11 'Atomar'

Post by Alden »

Very organic looking. Like some kind of freaky mushroom you'd find in an old forest somewhere. Good job.
I like.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Not to shabby for a hack such as yourself. My only critique would lean toward the stem...I think it might look a little more unified if the flare was angled more so to match the the angle of the stummel as it is when it is sitting, and for my personal taste I think it might look a touch better if the portion of the stem before the flare (closest to the shank) was just a touch shorter. Then again, my pipes suck and I haven't made one in 6 months. Anywho, send this one my way and I will throw it away into the farthest reaches of the PNG jungle so no one will have to look at this junk, :lol:
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
taharris

Post by taharris »

Nate,

I love it!

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Fantastic. I've got a Dr Grabow that looks just like that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Fantastic. I've got a Dr Grabow that looks just like that.
It's patent infringement, I know. Keep your big chupacabra mouth shut!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Actually the only thing I don't like much here is the stem - I just don't see that hard ring as being very flattering.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Actually the only thing I don't like much here is the stem - I just don't see that hard ring as being very flattering.
I tried to match the dramatic flare of the bowl. Perhaps I missed?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

No I see that, but the angles are different and the bowl top presents as being far less symmetic than that. Slanting that ring and/or making it just a little less perpendicular would have been snappy, I think. Like, the piece is sort of organic, right? This barky texture, and the big flowering plateaux... the bamboo is all bumps and curves, and then the stem is just hard and cold, like me.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:No I see that, but the angles are different and the bowl top presents as being far less symmetic than that. Slanting that ring and/or making it just a little less perpendicular would have been snappy, I think. Like, the piece is sort of organic, right? This barky texture, and the big flowering plateaux... the bamboo is all bumps and curves, and then the stem is just hard and cold, like me.
Ahh, I see your point. Ok fine, tell me now, after it's done! Geez Sas! :banghead:

Seriously, that is a great thought, thanks for the insight.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nate,

The more I look at this the more it grows on me. Speaking of "growing", I also think it looks like something that could have been found growing in the woods.

Nice work.

Brian.
billiard

Post by billiard »

That one is just gorgeous, truly like it! I think the stem comments are accurate but I certainly am not faulting it how it is. Very nice.