Another Stab At It 11-13-11

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

I took the critique I received from my last pipe and did my best to apply it to this one. I'm not the least bit satisfied with the mouthpiece but I can only hope they get better (as well as my pipes) as I keep practicing. Again I would very much appreciate some feedback so I can continue to improve my skills. Thank you all for your help!

P.S. I don't understand why these pictures came out so dim. I had the area flooded with florescent lights, I'm gonna have to break out the camera manual.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Growley

Re: Another Stab At It 11-13-11

Post by Growley »

Hawky,

Nice looking pipe. Great bowl, shine and stain. From my extremely novice eye, I would say the following:

On the stem it looks like you've got somewhere between a tapered stem and a saddle stem. If you're going for a saddle, don't be afraid to really go after that curve behind the "shank extension" part. Felix gave me a great page to look at for stems. I'm still trying to figure all this out myself. Here's the link the gave me: http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm.

If you're going after a tapered stem it needs to taper much more gradually.

Also, It looks like (and it could just be your picture) the shank is a bit uneven. It looks like it has a wave to it. You did get a really nice long stem!

The rim of your bowl looks really nice. And the bowl itself looks like it has a nice shape.

Great job. It's amazing how many things you can find right and wrong with a pipe. Just when I think I've got it close, someone will show me 50 more things to do better next time. I think that's what makes this so much fun.

Brian.
Archer

Post by Archer »

There used to be a free photo editing program called virtual photographer, check it out if you like. Otherwise, set your white balance for fleurons lights, set it on a tripod, set the timer, set it to take a "night scene" and it go for it! Nice pipe, not my style, but the force is strong with this one...!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad at all. I concur with Growley that the stem should taper much more gradually and perhaps not straight from the shank. The shank does pinch a bit about 1/3 of the way from the bowl. I'm not sure if this is making the heel of the bowl look like it drops below the bottom line of the shank or if it actually does dip down a touch. Last thing I see is that the front of the bowl above the shank more briar could be taken off to get rid of the small beer gut. The shape on the back of the bowl looks nice. Good job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

You all are absolutely right. Thanks for the feedback. Time to do it again.
potholer

Post by potholer »

Growley

that's a really useful site pointer, lots of very useful info and pictures

need to brush up my french a bit to really understand the guts of it :banghead:

regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Yes, Thank you for the link. I think it will help me out quite a bit with bits. Haha.

Potholer....depending on your browser you should be able to translate the content.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

nice pipe...
i would like to see a saddle on that stem and not change anythign else... that mouthpiece is kind of strange IMHO... :) saddle would give more class to it in my opinion....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

tNd wrote:nice pipe...
i would like to see a saddle on that stem and not change anythign else... that mouthpiece is kind of strange IMHO... :) saddle would give more class to it in my opinion....
Yeah man...you're right. I'm gonna see i I can pull it off. Thanks for the comments.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

i think you might be able to do it on this very mouthpiece... just add a saddle even a small one and it would be better... IMO it would look a lot better that way... :)
regards
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

I'll post a picture of it if I pull it off. But, I think you're right I'll just file it down and make it a saddle stem. That was my initial intent but then I thought I could pull off a taper and it obviously didn't work out. Thanks for the advice.

Vid.
potholer

Post by potholer »

hawky454

i gave up trying to translate it the old way!

so i grabbed my towel and stuffed a babelfish in my ear and now i have the knowledge :)

oh yes! i do like the pipe

regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

potholer wrote:hawky454

i gave up trying to translate it the old way!

so i grabbed my towel and stuffed a babelfish in my ear and now i have the knowledge :)

oh yes! i do like the pipe

regards
dave
HA HA....I get it! Very nice.

Thank you.