making my own tabacco...

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
bscofield

making my own tabacco...

Post by bscofield »

I go to a place here in St. Louis, MO where they have a guy that does about 25-30 custom blends. That's about all I ever enjoy anymore are the custom blends. Which leads me to think about making my own tobacco blends. The place that does this in St. Louis isn't very big so I wouldn't think that it's an incredibly expensive venture... Anyone have any advice on this? Products, blend *recipe's*, buying raw tobacco, etc?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

This is an area that I have not done any research. I hope someone can weigh in that has.

What I do know is that Cornell and Deihl (sp?) has blending components (i.e. straight latakia, straight perique, burley, virginias, etc.) which seems to me like a good way to start.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Since Cornell and Diehl's finished products are so good, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy their blending tobaccos in bulk. One of the things that I *love* about their tobaccos is that they don't come goopy and moist. I like my tobacco on the dry side, and some tobaccos are just way to wet for my liking - McLelland's (sp?) always is too moist for me, and is difficult to dry out enough to smoke.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jared

Post by Jared »

A tad bit late for this discussion, but I was just looking at this link today:

http://www.tobaccoblending.com/

Seems to have most/all the information you would need to blend your own tobacco.

Jared
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jared,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the link.

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

The smoke shop I go to here in Columbus used to have a "Blending Bar." All sorts of blending tobaccos. You'd just grab some of this and that, throw it together on the scale and were off and running. Too much fun. I never managed to let anything I blended to marry well enough. Always ended up smoking it right away.