Chubby freehand with horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
W.Pastuch

Chubby freehand with horn

Post by W.Pastuch »

Hey guys!
I finished this pipe a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty much my first seriously non-standard shape. I reallly enjoyed working on it, good learning. Wonder what you think :)
Alden

Re: Chubby freehand with horn

Post by Alden »

Beautiful !
The stummel is really large compared to shank/stem but for me that works fine on this pipe.
I likes it.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Really nice looking finish work and the stem looks great too; but yeah, the bowl is huge compared to the shank.....
flix

Post by flix »

I think it's a beauty. It seems to me that this genre, near pencil shank with a "club" for a bowl, is very manly and totally cool.

I've made a couple like this.

One problem that I've had is potential breakage. I had one in a basket on the floor (big mistake!) and the kids put something heavy on top of it. Of course, it broke! All the other pipes with conventional proportions came out just fine! Life happens...
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It's a good looking pipe. I agree that, for my tastes, the overall composition would work better if the bowl were more slim or the shank thicker. The bit stem work looks great. The button looks nice and thin. There's a lot of good things going on with this pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
flix

Post by flix »

wdteipen wrote:It's a good looking pipe. I agree that, for my tastes, the overall composition would work better if the bowl were more slim or the shank thicker. The bit stem work looks great. The button looks nice and thin. There's a lot of good things going on with this pipe.
You don't think it's manly and cool, Wayne? ;)
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Great finish work. The stem has lots of nice detail work. Props.
I wouldn't say the bowl is too large, but it looks like its not even front to back with respect to the chamber. I wouldn't go back and fix it since it looks pretty amazing already.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Your finish work looks nice, and that bit looks good. If I wanted to go with such a thin shank, I'd probably make it longer. That would give the pipe a touch more balance, but it would also emphasize the delicate shank. My vote would be that your bowl is too heavy in comparison to the shank.

Also, I can't tell if the shank is straight or not. If it is, I'd say that shank bowl junction needs to be cleaned up - too much extra wood on top of the shank.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

flix wrote:
wdteipen wrote:It's a good looking pipe. I agree that, for my tastes, the overall composition would work better if the bowl were more slim or the shank thicker. The bit stem work looks great. The button looks nice and thin. There's a lot of good things going on with this pipe.
You don't think it's manly and cool, Wayne? ;)

No. But it's not a bad pipe altogether.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Thanks for all the comments :)
I was going for that big bowl/smallish shank contrast, maybe overdid it a bit. The shank was meant to be bent, but it turned out the way you see it. Probably because it was my 27th pipe and sometimes I still get a bit lost when shaping :oops:

Thanks again, now off to the workshop, more stuff to learn! :D
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

This pipe reminds me of a vintage Bjarne pipe a friend of mine has: huge, round bowl with a pencil thin shank. It's not a pipe I'd think I would have liked before he showed it to me but, man, when I saw it, all I could say was, "That's a beautiful pipe!" Well, this one is MUCH nicer than that one. I really love that horn insert too. Is that buffalo?

I wouldn't change a thing on this. I think what makes this work (for me) is that fantail stem; it balances the whole composition.

Great job! Love the plateaux on the rim!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com