2nd Pipe - Olivewood Featherweight

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
frazeeg

2nd Pipe - Olivewood Featherweight

Post by frazeeg »

Just finished an olivewood featherweight for my little brother. He and I were at a tobacco/pipe store one day when a customer came in with a featherweight he needed fixing. My brother prefers a shorter smoke and thought the featherweight was perfect. Me, having just enough olivewood left over from my first pipe, thought I might as well make him one. And practice :wink:

The stats:

weight = 30 grams
length = 4.5"
bowl width = 1.2"
chamber width = 0.75"
chamber depth = 0.8"
stem length = 2.7"
stem material = vulcanite

The pics:

The stem still has scratches in it but I'm not gonna worry about those too much. Any feedback is much appreciated :D
-=Pride is not a sin=-
Charl

Re: 2nd Pipe - Olivewood Featherweight

Post by Charl »

Sort out the scratchmarks and offcenter drilling
Alden

Post by Alden »

To really make it a featherweight, and better looking IMO, I would take all the meat off the bottom of the bowl so the line of the shank continued straight all the way across the bottom.
There are pipes where the bowl drops down below the shank, some of them work well, but in this case I would lose the extra wood (unless doing so would leave the bottom of the bowl too thin).
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

Edward wrote:To really make it a featherweight, and better looking IMO, I would take all the meat off the bottom of the bowl so the line of the shank continued straight all the way across the bottom.
There are pipes where the bowl drops down below the shank, some of them work well, but in this case I would lose the extra wood (unless doing so would leave the bottom of the bowl too thin).
The bottom probably could have been thinned a little more to bring it in line with the bottom of the shank without making the bottom too thin. You're right - now that I look at it it does look a little weird compared to other pipes. My brother says he likes it fine so I'll leave it alone but thanks for the tip.
Charl wrote:Sort out the scratchmarks and offcenter drilling
The off-center was a product of trying to drill it in the drill press without a vise and the scratch marks a product of pure laziness :? Both of which will be remedied for the next attempt...
-=Pride is not a sin=-
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

frazeeg wrote: Both of which will be remedied for the next attempt...
As long as you actually implement the changes, I think that's a good philosophy. When you finish a pipe, call it done, and move on to the next. As long as you're doing your best, you'll learn with each finished pipe.