#1122 and #1123

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

#1122 and #1123

Post by Charl »

I am (for some unknown reason) quite happy with these 2. Let me have it and tell me it actually stinks, please. 8)
#1122:
and #1123:
Growley

Re: #1122 and #1123

Post by Growley »

I just saw this post and it was exactly the pipe I needed to see! (I'll get into that after in a minute)

But first of all, I think these pipes look great. I only have two remarks. One might be way off and the other is just preference.
On your first pic the one thing that catches my eye in a negative way is the first inch or so of the bowl. It's so perfectly tapered straight that it doesn't seem to match how beautifully you rounded the bottom of the bowl. I would suggest two things (that may be wrong). One, if you would have moved your ring up to the very place where your taper went from straight to curved, I think it would have come off better. Or two, you could have kept the same curve you had going on at the bottom and followed it all the way to the top. Maybe this design calls for exactly how you did it. Like I said, I may be wrong.

For the second pipe, this is strictly preference. For some reason I would have loved to see it with a solid black stem. I feel that the grain of the stem and the rustication conflict with each other. I really like the rustication and my eye is drawn to look at it's complexities. The stem also seems kind of complex but not in the same way. For me, it's kind of like wearing stripes and polka dots. Preference... Your shaping is terrific!

Now for why I needed to see this pipe (the first one). I've been working on a very similar shape and could not figure out what was bugging me about the bottom of my stem and it's intersection with the stummel. Looking at yours I figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't taking the shank far enough into the bottom of the bowl like you did so well here. This is exactly the pic I needed to see. Thanks for helping out, and great pipes!

Brian.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Second pipe is nice but doesn't really do it for me for some reason. The first pipe however is a stunner, really cool desing and perfect execution. Good job!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Really appreciate it.
Looking at the pics again (excusing the photo qualities!), the cutty,especially, looks far from perfect. I think a black stem would maybe have worked better and I also might have lost the fishtail. Also noticed a bit of a bump on the shank!