Group Ebonite buy

A place for businesses to post advertisements selling the raw materiasls for pipe making. (Briar, stems, rod stock, exotic woods, etc.)
andrew

Re: Group Ebonite buy

Post by andrew »

There's nothing quite like destroying expensive materials with a new piece of equipment :shock:

Did you get a metal or wood lathe?
Alden

Post by Alden »

Jet BD920 metal lathe.
If I'm going to mangle expensive raw materials, I will at least mangle them to precise tolerances.
andrew

Post by andrew »

That's the spirit :wink:

I destroyed a small army of molded stems (and other assorted things) in my lathe before I figured things out.

All part of the process.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Okay, with the added fees to wire payment here is the price per rod so everyone has an idea of how much it will cost. I will start working on estimated shipping via USPS and send out PM's in the next couple of days. If you haven't sent me your address please do so now so I can figure shipping.

Black ebonite = $66.09/ 1 meter rod
Cumberland = $71.27/ 1 meter rod

Not a bad price even with the unexpected fees. If anyone would like the breakdown of the fees and how the price per rod was figured send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Peace,
Wayne
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

wdteipen wrote:Not a bad price even with the unexpected fees. If anyone would like the breakdown of the fees and how the price per rod was figured send me a PM and I'll send it to you.
It's a fantastic price, Wayne, thanks!

OK, folks... Let's really make an all out effort to get our payments to Wayne as soon as we're notified of what we owe. He has fronted this deal with borrowed money, and lots of his time. Time he could of spent making pipes, or on anything else he loves to do. In other words, quick payment is the least we can do to thank Wayne for everything he's done!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have had the pleasure of working with the new NYH ebonite and man is it a dream! Had been using SEM which I thought was nice, but this stuff is primo! Many of you have seen my tenons turned on a wood lathe (still waiting for the PM lathe) and because my skill lacks, they didn't look great. They were functional, but I wasn't satisfied with the finish. I turned a tenon last night and it was great! Turned to size, a little 3000 grit, and I had a nice looking tenon in no time. I have yet to finish it to see how well it buffs, but if this step is any indication it will be nice. Thanks Wayne for taking care of this!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Update: I've gotten everyone's rods separated and packed (except one who hasn't sent me their address yet.) I'm planning on going to the post office tomorrow to get actual shipping costs for each package so I can PM the exact amount owed. Barring any unforseen problems, you should get a PM with the amount owed by the end of this week. I can accept payment via Paypal but you will have to either send it as a personal transfer from Paypal to Paypal account or pay the finance charge. I will also accept personal check or money order. I will PM the amount due plus an amount due if you pay with Paypal with the charges added. I'll send more payment details with the PM's. I'm not sure if I will have to pay the shipping costs up front or not which, for all 22 packages, may be a hefty amount so I would appreciate quick payment. I will send your rods once I've received payment. Thanks fellas. We're almost there.

Peace,
Wayne
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks to those who have paid so quickly.

A quick note for those who are paying via Paypal:

I don't fully understand Paypal's terms but it appears that you can pay with Paypal and it won't subtract a fee from the amount that I receive if you go to 'Send Payment' then click on the 'Personal' tab and select 'Gift'. I hope you understand that I can't absorb those fees as they can be pretty stiff. I've already underestimated their fees a bit and the cost will be a buck or two per but I'm not too worried about it. It shouldn't add up to more than $20 or $30 total so I'll eat the cost for my mistake. If anyone wants to compensate me with one of your own handmade pipes that should ease my pain. :lol: (Just kidding)

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Teipen
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I was going to send you a couple of tins from the cellar for basically taking on debt and going miles out of you way to help us out. Just didnt want to send something you dont like, and couldnt get a good idea from you website. whats your pref?

edit: should have said from the cellar, not for the cellar.
Nate

Post by Nate »

wdteipen wrote:Thanks to those who have paid so quickly.

I don't fully understand Paypal's terms but it appears that you can pay with Paypal and it won't subtract a fee from the amount that I receive if you go to 'Send Payment' then click on the 'Personal' tab and select 'Gift'. I hope you understand that I can't absorb those fees as they can be pretty stiff. I've already underestimated their fees a bit and the cost will be a buck or two per but I'm not too worried about it. It shouldn't add up to more than $20 or $30 total so I'll eat the cost for my mistake. If anyone wants to compensate me with one of your own handmade pipes that should ease my pain. :lol: (Just kidding)

Thanks,
Wayne
Under the 'Personal' tab, 'Payment Owed' is without fees as well.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

fuchi_jeg wrote:I was going to send you a couple of tins from the cellar for basically taking on debt and going miles out of you way to help us out. Just didnt want to send something you dont like, and couldnt get a good idea from you website. whats your pref?

Not necessary but I appreciate the sentiment. You're just down the way from me. We should see if we can get that Crosby fella and a few others around here and meet up for a smoke sometime.
Wayne Teipen
Nate

Post by Nate »

wdteipen wrote:
fuchi_jeg wrote:I was going to send you a couple of tins from the cellar for basically taking on debt and going miles out of you way to help us out. Just didnt want to send something you dont like, and couldnt get a good idea from you website. whats your pref?

Not necessary but I appreciate the sentiment. You're just down the way from me. We should see if we can get that Crosby fella and a few others around here and meet up for a smoke sometime.

+1
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nate wrote:
wdteipen wrote:Thanks to those who have paid so quickly.

Thanks,
Wayne
Under the 'Personal' tab, 'Payment Owed' is without fees as well.
Even if it uses a credit card?
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I think I have figured out the PP thing but perhaps not. PayPal WILL collect what it euphemistically terms a transaction fee. It will collect it either from the payer or the payee. You can have your account setup to allow PayPal access to your bank account or setup to use a PayPal credit card to which all amounts sent are added. Doesn't matter, PayPal will collect for each transaction. If you send money by checking the paying for 'goods', 'services' or 'eBay', (PayPal deducts the transaction fee, (from the amount you are sending before it is given to the payee). (PayPal doesn't care if it comes from your bank account or if they add it to your PayPal card balance). If you check the personal tab and click gift, PayPal then sends the total amount you indicate to the payee and then adds the transaction fee to that amount which it deducts from your bank or adds it to the money due on your card.

To sum up: Send the money to pay for something and the fee is deducted from the amount you send. Send the money as a gift and the fee is added to the amount you send, (taken from whatever kind of PayPal account you have). PayPal gets its fee regardless., If someone has a better take on this I would like to hear it, I might be wrong. bob gilbert
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I sent Wayne a 'gift'. The majority of it came from my pp balance, with a small remainder being taken from my bank account. Thus far, only the exact amount I've sent has been withdrawn. I don't know if they took anything off on Wayne's end, but I had (hopefully) adequately compensated for that as well.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Update: Today I shipped the first batch of rods to those whose payments I've received and have cleared the bank. I shipped parcel post so time of arrival can vary drasticly so give it some time. We're almost done. Thanks to those who've made payment and especially to those who've paid a bit extra to help cover some of my costs that I overlooked. It certainly wasn't necessary but it is appreciated.

Peace,
Wayne
Wayne Teipen
FredS

Post by FredS »

Mine arrived on the 24th. Thanks for taking this on Wayne. Let us know if you're left with any unpaid expenses - it's not fair that you get left holding the bag and we'll pony up a few bucks if needed.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
taharris

Post by taharris »

I got mine too.
And by all means if you need more to cover your costs. Please let us know.

Todd
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I'm set for awhile! Thanks again Wayne!
mredmond
Site Supporter

Group Ebonite buy

Post by mredmond »

Thanks, Wayne! I received my rods today. Please let us know if we need to chip in extra. This thing shouldn't cost you extra, especially considering the time you put in.

Micah