Pipe Packaging...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
PipesByDesign

Pipe Packaging...

Post by PipesByDesign »

I'm toying around with making custom boxes to offer with my pipes. Due to the time and materials involved I'm not planning on doing this with every pipe. But I want to make them as high quality as I can, and in my mind that includes internal padding that is molded to the shape of the specific pipe. I have absolutely no idea how to make that happen...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Sasquatch

Re: Pipe Packaging...

Post by Sasquatch »

There's two basic techniques as far as I can tell. I've toyed with this idea too, and am actually moving in a certain direction.

The two directions you have to choose from are making either a square case and filling it with something that holds the pipe, or making a pipe shaped case.

The custom fit case involves either building with a million little strips of wood or doing a papier-mache exoskeleton, or both. Basically, you put some kind of wrap (cellophane or whatever) on the pipe and build a case around it, then cut it free.

Easier I think, faster and cheaper, buy some hobby-grade plywood, maybe 1/8" thick or so, and build a small box. Then you can either get some memory-foam and carve a sort of pipe shape into that - it's soft enough to not need to be perfect, or you could make a sort of padded pillow - line the box with say, felt over foam, cut to shape.

Not sure how practical any of this is. I'm drifting toward the square box motif because I can make them pretty fast, and I think it's cool to have a little box for pipe cleaners etc, especially if you travel. I'll let you know if I come up with anything concrete.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Just spent some time looking online and found a decently priced foam supplier...

https://www.foambymail.com/SS/super-soft-foam.html

While it would be nice to have something form fitted to a specific pipe, I'm not sure that is really worth it for a small time pipe maker. What I'm thinking is that the box would be fitted with foam top and bottom, and the two pieces would sandwich the pipe in place when the lid is closed.

I've got an email into this company to see whether or not this particular foam can be cut with a hot wire or something like that. In that case you could just cut out the traced shape of the pipe. The piece in the lid would be regular and would still hold the pipe firmly in place. Then it'd be a matter of getting skilled at lining the foam cutout with some nice fabric. Of course, this company offers different types of foam in various colors, so that might not even be necessary...just get a good color and cut out the pipe shape...

https://www.foambymail.com/AF-/acoustic-color-foam.html
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Provided the stuff can be cut...

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/-K11C-Cra ... e-Kit.html

Not bad...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Not to put a downer on your idea, which is nice btw. But before worrying about packaging and making custom boxes I would just get on and make some pipes first, after all its the pipe that sells, the box or the sock are just little extras that at the end of the day just tend to get forgotten about.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Something I saw quite often when working with customs was an object in a bag placed in a sealed box which was then filled with expanding foam, the bag protects whatever and the foam forms a perfect mould. This works really well, we once played football with a ming vase without breaking it.

David.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

God DAMN that is a fantastic solution - use low-expanding urethane foam (Window/Door foam) around a protected piece.... VERY interesting. And I HAVE that stuff!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Have you considered vacuum forming (aka thermo-forming)? Google "Hobby Vacuum Forming" and you'll find a wealth of info from build-it-yourself units to whatever you want.
You could have a few standard size boxes, fabricate basic forms (wood) to fit each size box then vacuum form a custom insert over the actual pipe.
Vacuum forming is widely used in the packaging industry.
Chas.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

DMI wrote:Something I saw quite often when working with customs was an object in a bag placed in a sealed box which was then filled with expanding foam, the bag protects whatever and the foam forms a perfect mould. This works really well, we once played football with a ming vase without breaking it.

David.

Now that's a great idea/solution. I'm making a mental note. This would be a cool idea for a special pipe but wouldn't be worth the effort for regular production unless your selling pipes about the $1000 mark, IMHO.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
CACooper

Post by CACooper »

Greetings,

Something like this, perhaps?

I use 1 inch thick blue insulation foam (available at Lowe's), traced the pipes where I wanted them, then cut the foam with a Woodland Scenics hot wire foam cutter (available at most hobby shops). I cut a piece of red satin fabric, placed it over the cut foam, inserted the pipes, flipped everything over, and trimmed and hot glued the fabric on the back side.

The box arrives un-finished from a craft box supplier http://www.woodcrafter.com/ The basswood boxes are made in USA, and are of good quality. About $10.00 each.

I sand, stain and lacquer them myself. A LOT of work! It actually takes longer to make the boxes than the two pipes. The wood plaques are laser engraved and supplied by a trophy shop, as are the small Cooper Pipes logo badge beneath the wood plaque. The black backround in the lid is 1/4" thick black foamcore board cut to fit.

That's the way I do it. YMMV.

CACooper
Cooper Pipes
http://www.PipeandPouch.com
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Wow, that's very nice. Thanks for sharing that.