on the bench...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

on the bench...

Post by bscofield »

Well it's been a while since I've had something to post in here! I started a new business about 4 months ago and it's drained all the time and money out of me for quite some time now. But I have managed to buy a few blocks of briar here recently and this is one of the results.

I was hired by a family in N. California to make a pipe for the father of the family. They were going to go spend $300 on a dane but decided to go with me instead (and save some money, obviously). Now if that won't make a rookie feel inadequate I don't know what will!

(Jeff, this is one of the pipes I told you I'd show you.)

This is only roughed in and still needs some more fine shaping for symetry. What do you all think of the overall shape? Waht do you see in symetry problems?

Last edited by bscofield on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lannjohn

Post by lannjohn »

:)This is my first post on the forum so if I goof up be patient. Just wanted to lert you know that is one good looking pipe that you are making. Keep up the good work.
Lannes
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Welcome to the board! Thanks for the note... and may I say in response that that is a fine looking post! :D
jeff

Post by jeff »

Ben,

You've done well with this piece. The lines flow well and promise to make a handsome pipe. I think that the proportions are pretty good, the height, as Random said, is a taste issue. I don't find it to be too tall. Again, as Random said, symmetry is hard to evaluate from 2 shots, so more photos would be helpful if you want comments. So far, though, it's looking good.

BTW, is that a handcut stem or a blank?

Good Luck,

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

BTW, is that a handcut stem or a blank?
It's a modified pre-fab. It started out MUCH larger than that...
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

Ben,

I like the pipe but i can see from the side views that the back of the bowl is a bit rounded,( the back of the bowl being the closer side to the shank) but the front of the bowl is straighter. i would straighten that back side of the bowl so it is symetrical with the front of the bowl to make it more like a horn shape then a half horn shape.

Some makers use a shadow box to put their pipes into to see these little imperfections in shape. that is a box with a really bright light behind it with an opaque front to it. you put the pipe into the box and what you see on the opaque side of the box is just the outline of the pipe and you can spot imperfections in shape easier that way. unless of course you wanted to make the back of the bowl rounded like that then.... nevermind!LOL
Brian
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

I like the looks of it - the thicker bowl will help insulate the hand from radiant heat. Nice touch!

Just a couple of notes - on the inside bend (where the bowl meets the shank), the wood seems to bubble slightly. I don't know if that can be modified at all.

Any thoughts on the finish you'll use?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Thanks for the thoughts...

Brian, the first thing I corrected was that slant on the back side of the bowl... it really stood out to me in the pictures.

AAdomeit, the shank stummel transition is my least favorite part of this pipe. I had not intended for this pipe to be a horn... it is a drilling flaw! My draught hole came up higher than I wanted to and is at an upward incline through the shank. Because of that I can't take the transition as low as I'd like to and "beat the horn out of it." :D

My ideal was a sharper shank/stummel transition so that it was not horny (er hornish?) in it's slow transition from stummel to shank... but alas, a bad drilling and i failed. :cry:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ben,

Looks very nice. I like everything about it. As for symmetry, I agree with the other guys in regards to needing more pics to be able to adequately evaluate that aspect.

Keep up the good work!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

Ben,

The way i have been told, is that some of the mistakes we make end up coming out with some of the nicest shapes that are unique. Tom Eltang told me that, and he is right. Sometimes when you think you have made a mistake work with it and you will be surprized as to what shape you come up with. I would just work it as a horn and leave it at that. and its a fine looking horn IMO.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I would just work it as a horn and leave it at that
That's pretty much what I have to do. I'll enjoy this pipe when I'm done, don't get me wrong. It's just like the 3rd horn I've made in 1 1/2 dozen pipes.

I'll post pics of the finished pipe!
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I like that shape. I see what the others were saying about that "bump" on the shank side of the bowl. Seems like you already saw that too.

Where did you get a molded stem that had that much material on it? Wow. I would think that would be nice because it gives you so much to work with and so much ability to really make it unique and personal.

Congrats on the commission, too! That must really make you feel good.

-Scott
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

scojo, I got the stems from Tim West (jhlowe.com). He sells them pretty cheap and their big fat ones too... Can't remember what size I got but they were like 1 dozen for $6 I think...
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

[quote]AAdomeit, the shank stummel transition is my least favorite part of this pipe. I had not intended for this pipe to be a horn... it is a drilling flaw! My draught hole came up higher than I wanted to and is at an upward incline through the shank. Because of that I can't take the transition as low as I'd like to and "beat the horn out of it." [/quote]

Erk. I hate it when that happens. Tough luck man. Thoughts on finish?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I had considered doing a natural finish on this. No stain just polished. Not sure tho. I think because of the shape it "fits." This may be for a potential client tho. If it is it will have the word "Beloved" etched out on the front of it with a chizel. I like "natural" but not yellow. I think I need to see the color when I get 'er sanded up to like a 1500 and see what it looks like.