Newcomer Saying Hello

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Growley

Newcomer Saying Hello

Post by Growley »

Hey guys, I really hope I'm posting this in the right place....

I wanted to say that I've been enjoying your conversations for some time now. I wanted to thank you all for your willingness to share your thoughts and idea so new guys like me can learn from your experience.

A bit about me. I've made things with my hands most of my life, and one day when I was trying to smoke my pipe I thought, "I wonder if I could make one of these." Having never heard of this forum or other pipe forums before, I ordered a block of briar from ebay and set to work with a drill, a saw and some sand paper trying to recreate on of my favorite Ben Wade pipes. I was pretty proud of my first pipe...until I started really learning more about them. There is so much to learn...fluid flow, turbulence, french curves and on and on. I unaffectionately named that pipe "Knuckles" because of it's angular non flowing shapes that make it look like a good pipe that might have melted in a bad way. The only thing that looks ok on it is the stem and that's because I didn't make that :) I bought it at a store and stuck it in there.

Over the last year or so I've had about a dozen conversations with Tyler Lane (thanks Tyler) and had the awesome experience of a shop visit with Rad (thanks Rad). That's where I decided I wanted to really give this a shot...so much to the point that I sold my baby, my BMW 740i to buy some tools (Jet Lathe BD-920, Shop fox buffing system, Band Saw, custom Mark Yingling Bison Chuck, Cutting Tools, Heat Gun, Digital Calipers and so On). Now that they're arriving and I'm about ready to dig in. I'm really looking forward to being able to put my first completely hand made pipe on here for your critiques.

This is a great community and I look forward to being more a part of it.

Sincerely,

Brian.

Attached are a few pictures of "Knuckles" and my long gone BMW...

Man I miss that car....

PS. If you're near Fairhope Al don't hesitate to reach out. I'd love to chat with you.
RadDavis

Re: Newcomer Saying Hello

Post by RadDavis »

Anyone who would give up that car in order to make pipes has been bitten badly by the "bug". :lol:

Welcome to the forums, Brian! About time you showed up.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll say! Hopefully you can scratch that itch before you sell the house too! :D

Welcome to the forum!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

Oh...don't let my wife hear you mention the house...that could be bad. :shock:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Growley wrote:Oh...don't let my wife hear you mention the house...that could be bad. :shock:
You could always rent someplace in downtown Fairhope and live above the shop. Then you wouldn't have to mow the lawn! :lol:

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Tools are way cooler than cars anyway. I was getting into my truck the other day, and I realized that between the leather briefcase I carry and the Apple computer and iPad in it, I had about three times the value of my car over my shoulder.

I drive a 1993 Ford Ranger with 197,000 miles. Being 6'5", 245 lbs., it fits like a glove. :)

So anyway, welcome! Glad you are finally posting.

Tyler