Tamper Making

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeff

Tamper Making

Post by jeff »

So I find that I have a lot of leftover hunks of briar in my shop. Every time I rough out a new stummel, I discard some nice big pieces of this precious (and expensive) material. For some reason, I tend to cling to it and resist pitching it out (or using it in the smoker as Kurt does.)

Certainly some of these pieces will be large enough and of high enough quality to be used as shank extensions or decorative rings, but other pieces are just narrow enough to make them unsuitable for any "pipe"making use. However, they are just the right size to turn a tamper or two for myself.

Here is the problem. What kind of brass or other metals are used in tamper making and where can they be found? What about tampers with removable picks? I would love to hear some advice, see some pics, and find some good sources for tamper making materials.

Thanks, all.

Jeff
stdly

Re: Tamper Making

Post by stdly »

jeff wrote:So I find that I have a lot of leftover hunks of briar in my shop. Every time I rough out a new stummel, I discard some nice big pieces of this precious (and expensive) material. For some reason, I tend to cling to it and resist pitching it out (or using it in the smoker as Kurt does.)

Certainly some of these pieces will be large enough and of high enough quality to be used as shank extensions or decorative rings, but other pieces are just narrow enough to make them unsuitable for any "pipe"making use. However, they are just the right size to turn a tamper or two for myself.

Here is the problem. What kind of brass or other metals are used in tamper making and where can they be found? What about tampers with removable picks? I would love to hear some advice, see some pics, and find some good sources for tamper making materials.

Thanks, all.

Jeff
Jeff,
I have made a few tampers from brass, copper and stainless steel some with picks and some without, you can take a look at the link below. Briar could be incorporated into this design.
As far as buying materials any local metal supplier will sell you all of these materials. Metal Supermarkets are a slight pricey but deal with retail sales well. A lathe or access to one would almost be a must. I have found the SS to be the easiest to keep clean but the hardest to work as well.

http://www.pattispawprints.com/pipepage/acces.html
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Go here for a primer on tamp making:

http://www.jagwal.com/inside_the_shop.htm

I have bought the necessary supplies here:

http://www.onlinemetals.com

This is a perfect project for scrap briar, but I am like random...too much work for the price one can sell the for. I also find them not as fun to make from a creative standpoint. While some artisans like Art have certainly shown that tamp making can be an amazing creative outlet, I find pipe making MUCH more to my liking.

Have fun!

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Great info guys. Thanks, especially, to Tyler for the JAGWAL link. What a great instructional site.

BTW, I'm not planning on doing this for profit. It's just that I have so few tampers, and no NICE tampers. So, I thought that I would take a few minutes and make one or two for myself.

Jeff
Last edited by jeff on Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Brian Scott, the owner of JAGWAL Tampers is one of my best friends and my partner in the part of my business that deals with estate pipes. He's a great guy and a wonderful craftsman. Hopefully he'll make it down to Richmond this year.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
jeff

Post by jeff »

Excellent, Neil. I was tempted to make a purchase off of his site. Maybe I'll give in at Richmond if he is there.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've made myself a number of tampers using some brass bar stock for the foot and a whole bunch of other stuff for the body. Oak dowel rods from Lowes don't make pretty tampers - trust me on that. However, they're serviceable.

The best looking tamper I've ever made was from a big piece of cocobolo that started life as a pen blank. It's actually very interesting. Running right down the length of the tamp, the wood is split evenly between the rich dark cocobolo most people see, and a wonderful pale yellow sapwood. It has two feet, so I can use it with two different (but similar) tobaccos if I so choose.

When I make a tamp, I usually make a simple cylindrical tamp, since I don't care for most other shapes. I just toss a piece of wood on the lathe, turn it to the right size, *maybe* at a bead or two for decoration if I'm in the mood, and then polish/finish it in two stages as I would if I were making a pen (which is a great finish for a tamp if you ask me).

As far as feet, I find that brass looks best with most woods. However, stainless steel could be used with great success if you're using other materials for the body.

All my metals, for any project (pipe-related or not) I get from these guys, they're top-notch in customer service:
http://www.onlinemetals.com
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hiway

Post by hiway »

I've made a few with either briar or African Blackwood for the foot and some other wood such as purpleheart for the stem. I've used the blackwood tamper a lot and it works well. Of course, only the years will tell how well it will stand up. I think I will make one with a briar stem and blackwood foot.

I've also used empty cartridge cases. I cut the case off about 3/4" above the rim then turn a piece of wood to fit and expoxy the case on. They are quite popular at our pipe club but as mentioned previously, there isn't any money in tampers. :)

Dave
jeff

Post by jeff »

hiway wrote:... there isn't any money in tampers.
Talk to Art Ruppelt about that! :o

Jeff
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

http://www.damasteel.se/

I HIGHLY suggest making tampers from this stuff - damasteel. Ever heard of damascus? Well, that's what this is. Instead of being pattern welded like normal damascus, damasteel is powdered and fabricated using exclusive Swedish metallurgy.

My cousin works at the foundry (Soderfors Smedja), and my dad and I get orders from there.

Warning, this stuff is horribly expensive - in the order of CAN$15.00/linier inch.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hmmmm. Seeing steel like that stirs my creative side. That's beautiful stuff.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Indeed it is. I've made damasteel arrowheads for a couple of my archery buddies, and my old man loves making knives. It is also possible to buy the metal in rods rather than bars, which is good. you need to shape it with carbide bit files though, preferably titanium. That shit's tough!

When/if I ever marry, my wife's wedding band will be braided damascus wire with stones set it it. No gold for me! :wink: