dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

dublin

Post by andrew »

Hey everyone, please take a look at this. Let me know what you think. Just try to mentally erase the grand canyon running on the underside of the shank. The carving was an attempt to rid myself of the canyon. The carving seemed to come out nicely with the stem work, but still a canyon. The ring is pre-ban ivory, hand cut ebonite stem, delrin tenon. Probably would have been a great blast. As always, thanks for any feedback. All comments are welcome.
wdteipen

Re: dublin

Post by wdteipen »

Looks like a well made pipe to me. The only thing I see other than the obvious natural flaws is that the bowl could stand to be canted slightly away from the stem. It appears that it's leaning towards the business end. I agree that a sandblast would help hide the flaws and make this pipe even more attractive. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

I actually kinda like the flaws on this one! Hopefully they are only cosmetic.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote:I actually kinda like the flaws on this one! Hopefully they are only cosmetic.

I've got plenty of pipes with flaws... I'll give you a good price :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Nate wrote:I actually kinda like the flaws on this one! Hopefully they are only cosmetic.

Awesome! :D Wait, I have plenty myself...

BTW, you could have gone a different route with that, thanks for being so kind. :mrgreen:
andrew

Post by andrew »

Well, I adopted this pipe instead of selling it for two reasons:
1. During a tragic misfortune this last weekend, my favorite shop pipe leapt out of my pocket (without my consent) and decided to make friends with some random fungus on the forest floor. For all I know some lucky mountain goat is smoking my favorite pipe right now....

2. I had no idea exactly how deep that fissure/canyon/abyss really went. So without knowing if I would see smoke escaping the shank (not typically an acceptable place to see smoke escaping a pipe) I figured it was my duty to keep it and smoke it until I knew for sure it was safe.

I can tell everyone for sure that the pipe is safe, however, I have developed an attachment to it... it's mine. I'm not sharing.
flix

Post by flix »

Very fine carving Andrew! I like it a lot, hopefully the next carved pipe will have fewer flaws. Keep up with the art, it sets you apart.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Oh and I forgot the last post...

It looks like you may have a slightly fudged edge on the stem by the ivory, but your stem work and band looks pretty nice. I struggle with that.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

e Markle wrote:

In fact ALL of Egarble's pipes have flaws. He's just jealous of yours, Andrew.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@ andrew,

Damn! you seem to be turning out some nice pipes on this forum my friend!
Nice job! :thumbsup: