Topic about pipe racks?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
SchmidtN

Topic about pipe racks?

Post by SchmidtN »

Maybe I'm searching wrong, but I've been snooping around trying to find pictures of everyone's pipe racks and haven't had any luck. Does one exist? I'm going to make an eight pipe, pipe rack and was looking to rip off somebody else's design. :lol:
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Sully

Re: Topic about pipe racks?

Post by Sully »

http://www.twocousinspiperacks.com/Home.html
Here's some of the best racks around.... without a Sun dress
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Thanks Sully, I see an idea or two I like in those pipe racks.
Hello, I'm #1312.
billiard

Post by billiard »

For the DIY approach:

Awhile back I had the idea of using a PVC pipe for a rack and it came out very nice and I now have two racks like this.

Simply split a PVC pipe lengthwise, I am pretty sure I used 5" pipe, and then cut some grooves in every 2 - 3 inches across the top, depending if you want your pipes silhoutte or not (I just used a small grinder on a hand drill).

I made one to sit on the mantle of my fireplace and then bought some fake leather and carefully cut/glued it to place. It works great, accepts any sized/shaped pipe and looks sharp with the black leather.

The second rack I simply stuck the cut and grooved pipe in an old CD rack.

This pic is old but it shows them both in my home office:

Thanks,
Billiard
potholer

Post by potholer »

Billiard

that's a very nice idea :D

regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Dave.

Schmidt, just in case my idea interests you, here are 2 points perhaps to consider:

1) you can make a small version for 8 pipes in another approach: put the halved pipe back to back and have 4 on each side with grooves alternating so the stems do not hit.

2) pipe racks are like gun safes: you can never have enough room. If you make an 8 pipe rack today by tomorrow you will have 9 pipes :) Go Big ;)

Just my thoughts,
Bill
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

billiard: Outstanding idea... a ton less work than I was planning and it's modular so I can expand in the future. I like really it.

You could color the PVC too:
http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stain-P ... Like/296/1
Anybody know if Fiebings is "oil-soluble?"
Hello, I'm #1312.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Glad to hear you like it.

The non-leather one was originally (as seen in above pic) for some of my corn cobs and the leather one was for some of my briars with reasoning that the leather would prevent any and all scratches from the PVC to wood contact. Now that I am back to over 300 pipes most of my cobs are just piled up in a box or 2 and I went back and sanded all the pvs smooth and haven't had any issues with scratch/dings on briars but I do keep my best pipes on the leather one.

I don't have the text that accompanied this anymore but these pics should tell you how I did the leather in case you want to go that route. Don't remember when I made these but been a year or two and the leatherbound one still looks brand new:

Hope that gives you some ideas, and as others have surely made other racks I will stop spamming your thread now :)

- Billiard
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Not spamming at all Billiard. I welcome all talk and ideas (especially if you're going to show me how you did it) on making a pipe rack. Bonus points if its less work and easy on the wallet (more money for briar!). :lol:

The reason I wanted an eight spot pipe rack is because I'm a college student and take eight with me to school for a rotation, but don't have room for a bigger collection.

I also picked up this jar that I'd like to incorporate with the rack.

So I could see a wood base, the jar on one end and the two PVC racks back to back running length-wise either dyed black of covered in leather/felt.

Something like this:
Hope that's not too much of a rip off of your idea.
Hello, I'm #1312.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Thats pretty cool billiard. :D
billiard

Post by billiard »

SchmidtN wrote: Something like this:
Hope that's not too much of a rip off of your idea.
Not at all, I posted the finished ones and the how to pics for anyone else to use :)

A couple comments:
- they sell the pipe in black as well, so no need to dye it black
- angle of pipe is important to hold them right, test first before locking in, on the leather one I made there is a wood frame behind it, I just went quick cheap without a visible pretty wood frame
- if you are going to build a wood base to hold the glass jar on one end I think it would look even nicer by adding a glass ashtray and maybe a holder on the other end for symmetry and all that, like this one:

If you make it please post pics when done :)
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Thanks billiard. I think I'm going to cover the PVC with black felt. What glue did you use to attach the leather?

I like the ashtray idea, but I'm not allowed to smoke in my apartment at school. I have to go outside, so I really don't have a need for an ashtray. Maybe another jar on the other side (it was only 6 bucks). I'll give it some thought.

I'll post pictures if I ever make it... finding a non-lazy wood worker might take me a while though. :wink:
Hello, I'm #1312.
billiard

Post by billiard »

SchmidtN wrote:What glue did you use to attach the leather?
Sorry but I don't remember. When I bought the fake leather roll from either Tandy or Leathercraft locally (I don't remember which one) I asked them when looking at the hundred or so adhesives they sell "which one would work with this fake leather to PVC" and they said "this one"... so I used "that one".

:? :)
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Well, I brought my Pops in on the pipe rack (I'm 26; it's his wood shop) and he's an engineer so he's currently overhauling my sketch so that it's capable of space flight! :lol: I'll keep you all posted and share pictures after it gets built.
Hello, I'm #1312.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Oh YES! Get Pops in on it, and make it a nice weekend project for you guys. Just don't let him do all the work. :mrgreen:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Haha. He's more of a planner than a doer. Don't get me wrong, he's made some beautiful projects in the past, but then again he's also been building the same pie cooling table for 12 years. I think he likes the design phase much more than the building/finishing phases.
Hello, I'm #1312.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Father & Son stuff is always good!

After work every day this week is me watching my son in Pop Warner Football (Little kids playing American Football) so yesterday I ran out to my garage and drilled a block then stuck a couple inches of vulcanite rod in it. As stupid as it sounds, and likely how horrible it is going to come out, is besides the point because I am going to whittle it with my pocket knife all week this week. Just gonna whittle the briar and rod while I watch him play in my folding chair on the sideling. Maybe by Wednesday I will get it to where I will bring a sheet or 2 of sandpaper... either way, whatever it ends up like... it will be my Pop Warner Pipe :D
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

My ex girlfriend had a huge rack! (double E's) not sure if this fits?
hope this helps. :D
Last edited by Boekweg on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

How many pipes fit on it at once? :lol:
Hello, I'm #1312.
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

I like http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAnd ... x?id=24089 this one and http://books.google.com/books?id=dPsDAA ... &q&f=false but unless you have a collection of churchwardens, you will need to modify it a lot. It is however one of the classic early forms.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/