Bulldog Nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Bulldog Nosewarmer

Post by Tyler »

sethile wrote:
Tyler wrote:I'll offer a contrary opinion. I don't like shank caps that have the shank and stem the same dimension. The cap looks contrived in that situation. The caps look best, IMO, when the shank is bigger than the stem, like on the pipe in this thread. If you did Scott's clever method, it would be well made but, I think, worse looking.

Nice pipe.
Oh I think you're right, Tyler! What I was imagining was the flow of shank and stem lining up better, but having the stem still be smaller than the shank due to cutting the tenon on the shank, which would bring it back to a thicker portion of the tapper than where the stem tapper is. Maybe it would be too subtle a difference though.

I really like this pipe. I found the rounded section of stem by the end cap a tiny bit distracting in one of the pictures, but the overall aesthetic of the piece is really nice. Very likely better than what I would have ended up with using the idea I outlined...
Ok, gotcha. If the taper were steep enough to provide enough delta in the dimension, then poof! Clever indeed.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Delta in the dimension??

Are you guys getting all scientific on me? :)

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:Delta in the dimension??

Are you guys getting all scientific on me? :)

Rad
I have no excuse for why that phrase came to mind, but I will confess to hoping you'd reply. 8)