Magma

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Magma

Post by billiard »

See updated pics in thread below if this is 1st time reading, thanks

While it's all my own issues...

I am still gonna blame Tom Waits for this:

The stem\shank is not as bad as these photos make it look and the mechanics are really nice.

FWIW: 6.25" max length and 2.25" max height.
Last edited by billiard on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Magma

Post by KurtHuhn »

So which album caused this? Or was it a particular song?

It's no Chocolate Jesus, that's for sure....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LAH

Post by LAH »

Tom Waits is great to listen to while in the shop. "What's he building in there?"

Abe
billiard

Post by billiard »

KurtHuhn wrote:So which album caused this? Or was it a particular song?

It's no Chocolate Jesus, that's for sure....
I tell ya Kurt it's that darn shuffle button.

I mean first everything was great and Jesus was gonna be here soon... but then a few minutes later I learned God was away on business... I got so confused I went Underground... but all I did was find myself Starving in the belly of a whale.

Maybe next time I will make a billiard to Pavarotti instead.
LAH wrote:Tom Waits is great to listen to while in the shop. "What's he building in there?"

Abe
What's he doing with all those packages?

Just a rain dog too,
Billiard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like this pipe. The lines of the stem could be cleaned up and smoothed out a bit, but the overall idea is cool.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nicely done there billiard. :thumbsup:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, I'm not going to Lie To You Baby, but a round shank on almost volcano never works well. An inset stem seems to work well so I suggest that you shape like You Got All The Time In The World.

Or, in plainer words, I like it and think that it is a nice start, but the shank is lost and needs all of our help out Upon The Road To Peace.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

I like the finish. Reminds me of a truffle. Stems a tad lumpy at the tenon end. The round shank...duno as I haven't seen enough to comment. Well done.
Cheers Rolf.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Sasquatch, Boekweg, and Taspiper for the kind comments and constructive criticism re: the stem. Both parts appreciated.
KurtHuhn wrote:Well, I'm not going to Lie To You Baby, but a round shank on almost volcano never works well. An inset stem seems to work well so I suggest that you shape like You Got All The Time In The World.

I am Big in Japan, I just got lost at The Bottom of the World!
KurtHuhn wrote:Or, in plainer words, I like it and think that it is a nice start, but the shank is lost and needs all of our help out Upon The Road To Peace.

Understood and hopefully this makes sense: going from the round of the shank to the flat bottom of the bowl, with sharp edges (prior to rustification), was odd, and as you said almost never works. If I had used a square shank I could have resolved this a lot easier however I (in my early days here) don't like to use a square shank as a square shank and square tenon can be problamatic with the few tools I have - however an inset stem to a square shank, especially one that had a reverse taper to add some flare would have worked really nicely on this pipe. So thanks very much and in a couple paydays when I save up some money to order more briar I will get another large to extra large block and have a go at this pipe doing just what you prescribed.

Thanks again,
Bill
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

I like this alot. I have similar plans penciled out on a block, but I'm waiting until I finish my block chuck.

I agree with Tas on the stem. It could use some refinement, especially along the bottom, but overall I think it's great.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks JeremyV.

---

I blame Kurt for this:

I'm sure hoping a few of you fine fellers will revisit this thread and compared the pics in the first post to these two and see a fairly big difference.

She still aint perfect but it's still my first volcano'ish type pipe :)
R.H.

Post by R.H. »

Really good improvement. Congratz
Greetings,

Ramón

Post by bandkbrooks »

Actually I really like this pipe. I cant put my finger on it...perhaps send it my way then I can put all 5 fingers on it. not to cause potential frustration but I likedbthe first version better. IMHO.

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Both this pipe, and Tom Waits are great. Thanks for sharing it.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Ramón & Humble Pipe!

Thanks Brandon, this might not make sense but the original version was how it was designed so it had some flair to it like that. The re-did version lost some of that flair but is a marked improvement from a technical standpoint (if I may be flippant enough to use that term in regards to a pipe I made). I think my 2nd attempt at something like this will be much better as I can design it properly and incorporate the flair into the technically correct design. Or something like that anyhow.

Anyhoo, As usual I made this for myself but it ended up going home with a friend late last night so its current form is the finished one and that's probably a good thing as I am out of black stain :)

If Kurt reads this: well I might not have got a Chocolate Jesus but I did Get Behind the Mule when ya said ;)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It looks like you tightened up the bowl/shank transition really well. Unfortunately it's very difficult to provide much more critique on the efforts than that without holding it and turning it over.

What I can offer is that a volcano is a deceptively complex pipe shape. Very rarely (as in almost never) does a round shank work on one. The bowl is all angles and gentle slopes, and a round shank is a fast departure into something unrelated to that theme. There are cases where it can work, and I've seen a Becker that looked wonderful with a round shank, but by and large they're difficult to do and look "right". If you're going to do a round shank, go "all potato" and slam that round shank right into the side of the mountain and make a sitter out of the thing.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Kurt for your feedback and advice. I will do my best to listen to it the next time I have a go at something like this and take pictures from more angles as well.

Next time though more standard fare to attempt to build the meager skill set a bit more as I should not be playing just yet.

Thanks again,
Bill
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Looks more like a Big Black Mariah to me...but then I'm all likkered up on that roadhouse corn, left Waukegan at the slamming of the door.

Nothing 16 shells from a thirty-ought-six wouldn't cure. Or even a Sweet Little Bullet from a Pretty Blue Gun.

Just about anything Tom inspires one to do is usually fun, if not genius. :mrgreen: