A matched pair

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

A matched pair

Post by Sasquatch »

I have been tossing the idea of a matched set or a 7 day set of pipes around for awhile. The trouble with a 7 day set is that lots of guys would want it, but only a certain portion of those would have a spare thou laying around, even if you price at a very modest 150 per pipe, 7 pipes costs a goddam lot.

So I started simple, with a bent and straight billiard, and just tried to make a couple of really nice solid pipes. Everything was done in unison - cut two blocks of wood, cut two identical stems, etc.

They came out just a touch fatter in the shank than I originally intended. I had to cut the shank on the straight just a little shorter than I originally anticipated due to a bit of a flaw there. This effectively shortened the shank (bowl was drilled), and that means either a shorter bowl or a thicker shank to keep the proportions.

The chambers are identical, and this means that the bent pipe is a little taller on the outside - you wind up making a nice arc under the pipe (like Peterson or Castello do with their bents) rather than just taking a straight billiard and angling the shank upwards, so to speak.

Anyway, this was a blast, and I got my pockets fulla jack now.

I think the lines could be slightly crisper on the shank of the straight - I wound up rounding it over just slightly where it joins the stem. But that's a pretty finicky criticism. The bent I'm pretty happy with, although I could maybe thin the stem out faster....

Anyway, that's what I been putzing away at.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Re: A matched pair

Post by wdteipen »

Love em both, especially the bent. Very nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

really nice good quality work as usual... like them both... they look a bit fat but this is just the way i like them to be :)....
also, the ring on the chamber's mouth looks cool there :) :) :) sort of fancy and it suits them right....
nice work...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Really nice Sas. I love the matching color on the counter sink (or whatever t should be called) in the bowl and the shank stem transition.

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Okay moderator. I get it, breasts are off limits. Prude!
Adios
Last edited by baweaverpipes on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

baweaverpipes wrote:Sir, this is a matched pair:
Crisp lines, good flow, comfortable mouthpieces.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"Roughly speaking, to say of two things that they are identical is nonsense, and to say of one thing that it is identical with itself is to say nothing at all." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

Stop being such a tit, Bruce.

(Beatus, you're right - those do look like comfortable buttons)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sorry guys. Not appropriate for this for this forum. I've replaced the previous image with something much more majestic and visually interesting.

Yes, I'm a prude.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

KurtHuhn wrote:Sorry guys. Not appropriate for this for this forum. I've replaced the previous image with something much more majestic and visually interesting.

Yes, I'm a prude.
Actually, you're not a prude, simply a douche bag!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sweet! I finally made it to douchebag status!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:"Roughly speaking, to say of two things that they are identical is nonsense, and to say of one thing that it is identical with itself is to say nothing at all." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dude, never, NEVER quote Wittgenstein in this sacred forum. I read too much from him in my undergrad, and I hope to never encounter him again, and that's especially true in my pipe sanctuary.

Not sure why, but I don't like 'em. It's probably the colors, and maybe just where the black and yellow meet, but something looks... below the standard that I've come to expect from you. Sorry that's so vague it's probably not useful.

Hope Rad helps.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ernie, as soon as the pipes were done in black, I thought "Oh shit I wrecked 'em. Ha ha. Live and learn." But now I like them, it just took a bit of getting used to - the green and "yellow" is weird. I will assume that this means you aren't going to buy them.

As for Wittgenstein, I had a very, very good instructor in that regard, and we went very slowly and very carefully. Almost everything I read about "Wittgenstein's thought" I disagree with based on actually reading his "enquiries" (if they can be called that). His demands of stringent principled intellectualism without the usual accoutrement of mysticism or hard Cartesian skepticism, that is, trying to find a way to have principled philosophy without either locking yourself in prison or taking too many things as given, almost drove him mad, it seems.

Anyway, luckily I don't give a shit what you think about Wittgenstein or pipes, and like you say, I'll just have to rely on Rad being his usual helpful self. :roll:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I don't know who Wittgenstein is.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's okay, Ernie doesn't either. :lol:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:That's okay, Ernie doesn't either. :lol:
Yeah, but I never know what I'm talking about. It's a given, right?

Wittgenstein, Carnap and Quine were the unholy triumverate and bane of my undergraduate existence. I gnash my teeth at the mere mention of the man.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:

Wittgenstein, Carnap and Quine were the unholy triumverate and bane of my undergraduate existence. I gnash my teeth at the mere mention of the man.
Then I shall gnash in solidarity with you.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:
e Markle wrote:

Then I shall gnash in solidarity with you.

Rad
See, the interweb really does bring people together.