Hello again

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Hello again

Post by billiard »

Hi all,

Please read my short preface: I am a pipe smoker and collector. I'm not an artisan, nor do I aim do be, I have never sold a pipe I made and have no intentions as far as I can currently see in the future. I just occasionally make pipes for the heck of it because it is fun. In other words I just spend a few hours to make a pipe, like I did yesterday morning, because it's fun. Sometimes I make other things, one year I built a jeep and right now besides making pipes I am working on a clock as well as display rack for a different hobby.

I lurk here frequently and feel that I know many of you, so this is really just me saying hi to some of you that I have read enough from that I consider you friends... well not all of you, but some. HA!

All that said here are the latest 3 pipes I made for myself. No real need to critique them as it is just me goofing around.

3 pipes ago was this riff off of a Castello 55 in a nosewarmer. It's a great smoking pipe but since this pic I had to go back and take the stem down a little. The part behind the button was thin enough but I felt like my lips were open when puffing so it was uncomfortable, it's fixed now. I know this pipe is a little out there but since I am a stickler for mechanics sometimes I just make them look however the heck I want.. plus I aint that good, so they just comeout like this ;)

2 pipes ago I made a "fat boy" on father's day. I still haven't smoked it yet but I will sooner or later. It's a short fat Nosewarmer and I like it:

Yesterday morning I made a classic billiard. Well at least I attempted a classic billiard, it looks billiardish to me and since I am billiard and I made it that makes it a billiard, LOL. It's got some beautiful birdseye on the bottom but my pics just show glare.

I might not have time to make more this summer but fall always comes around. I have a leather bound 39 pipe rack that I custom made for myself that fits over the mantle in my home office and my goal is to someday have 39 briar pipes I have made for myself in it. The rack is full now but most are custom corn cob creations I made and I would like this rack to be all briar.

On the collection side of the house I think I am going to send another 50-75 estates to Pipestud so that I can pick up a few pipes from you guys. I obviously like smoking the pipes I make for myself since I made them and take pleasure in them and I think it would be equally enjoyable to have a few of yours as I would enjoy smoking them when I read the forum and some of your blogs, kind of give me a connection.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the forum. I don't post much but I read every post made,
Billiard
e Markle

Re: Hello again

Post by e Markle »

Cool! Keep making pipes. That last one has some nice grain - I like it.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks much, it smokes really nicely.
flix

Post by flix »

They look great, Bill! Hope to see them in person one day...
billiard

Post by billiard »

flix wrote:They look great, Bill! Hope to see them in person one day...

Thanks much Mike.

I'm sure I would benefit tremendously having an artisan like yourself look some of my pipes over in person and I will look forward to that. I will try to make something a little nicer before then though so it is not too much of a time waste.
flix

Post by flix »

billiard wrote:
flix wrote:They look great, Bill! Hope to see them in person one day...

Thanks much Mike.

I'm sure I would benefit tremendously having an artisan like yourself look some of my pipes over in person and I will look forward to that. I will try to make something a little nicer before then though so it is not too much of a time waste.

Sounds good! Artisan, I like the sound of that! ;)

BTW, the FVF that you gave us at the last pipe club meeting was unbelievably good. It tasted like it had a decade's aging...
billiard

Post by billiard »

flix wrote:BTW, the FVF that you gave us at the last pipe club meeting was unbelievably good. It tasted like it had a decade's aging...
Glad you liked that, it's been in the cellar awhile now ;) I'll sneak you something from the long term shelf next time that you might like even more :)

Since I am posting: I went to smoke the "Fat boy" in this thread at lunch today and it's coloring just seemed a little garish to me so I gave it a quick make over at lunch:

While I like it, it is obvious I should have slowed down a little... maybe before I smoke it I will do the "asphalt" treatment on it, lol, I don't have enough pipes like that yet :)

Thanks,
Bill