No. 4 Mini-Billiardish!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokindawg

No. 4 Mini-Billiardish!

Post by smokindawg »

Spent part of Friday making a pipe. I have quite a few smaller straight cut Eubachons so thought I'd try my hand at actually making my first billiard shape and first smallish pipe. I don't think I even got close on the billiard part but it didn't actually turn out to be too bad a pipe. It is a pretty small one though. Should make a good flake pipe.

The pipes length is 4 3/8". Bowl height 2". Tobacco chamber is 5/8" and drilling is dead on. I opened both the airway in the pipe and the stem to 5/16 and tapered and funneled the stem itself. Weight of the pipe when finished is .710 oz.

Finish is good, although the grain on these cheap blocks is a bit strange.

The next one will be better I'm sure and I learned a few things making this one. Let me know what you think.

Pipe Maker in the Making!
Alden

Re: No. 4 Mini-Billiardish!

Post by Alden »

Steve the same critique I gave you before applies to this pipe as well.
Nice work, good finish and I imagine a great smoking pipe.
But not enough definition of the shape itself, plus there is nothing crisp and sharp in the lines of the pipe.
If I was considering buying this pipe, I would want to see it completely redefined.
Take all of the extra briar off the bowl to make it more of a straight sided bowl, knock that briar off the top of the shank where it transitions to the bowl and straighten out the lines of the pipe until its crisp clean and defined.
That would make this a pipe I would buy.
I think you do great work, but most of the pipes need to go on a diet and lose a couple ounces of briar.
Like Chuck Norris with a big beer belly, it just aint right.
Looking at the "two remakes" post from DeGamba should point out everything I'm trying to say