A couple of more pipes by Mark S

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
marks

A couple of more pipes by Mark S

Post by marks »

I added a picture of my first pipe on my little site, as well as a picture of my latest, pipe number 8.

I also threw in a couple of links just for fun (one will bring you right back to this site).

The eight pipe has some shape flaws. As I cut my briar with a hacksaw (I don't own a band saw), I have to be careful where I cut. I got a little carried away when I cut this pipe, and the line on the bottom of the pipe is a little off and I could not round off the bottom too well. It will sit up without rolling over, though. My friend whom I gave the pipe to says it smokes good anyway.

Let me know what you think (good, bad, or ugly). Thanks!!

http://hometown.aol.com/jmbspell/myhomepage/index.html
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I think these are coming along fine. The only thing I would point out is the area where the shank intersects the bowl. Speaking specificaly about pipe #8, I would suggest a stronger point of transition. Right now it seems a bit timid. My first pipes did the same thing and it was suggested to me to not leave so much wood in that area but to carve more of a direct line there. If you look at the pipe below you might see what I mean.

Other than that small detail, I thing that the proportion and overall shapes are really developing nicely. And bravo for carving your own stems. That is something I have yet to do.
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Hi guys!

Strangely the link you sent, Mark, is not working.

The images in John's post are not showing.

Now I'm curious... :roll:
:D
Regards,

Omar Colocci
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Omar,

They are working for me. Hmmm...

What browser are you using?

Tyler
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

I'm using the standard: IE6.

I've seen pics in other posts, but the two above show only that [x] icon, when it cannot find the images, and the link Mark posted at the end of his post open a windows and a server message (not the standard IE message) saying the document was not found. And this happened at the office and here at home.

Maybe something happened and you still have the images in yoru browser's cache.

Anyway, I'm going to try it with Mozilla Firebird.
Regards,

Omar Colocci
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

At home too? That is quite a mystery. I am using IE6 also, and a refresh shows them still there.

??? :?

Tyler
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Do you believe that I've just tried with Mozilla and everything worked just fine??? I can understand the pics, but the website????? 8O

Before you ask, yes, I have an updated antivirus runing :lol:
Regards,

Omar Colocci
marks

Post by marks »

Sorry you had trouble Omar, but my site is hosted by AOL. Not sure why you would have had trouble unless AOL was doing server maint. when you looked.

Thanks for your comments John. The bowl to stem transition is the hardest part for me right now. I've got a couple of pipes where I have done well, but I agree that this one could have been better.

I am spending more time in this area on my current pipes.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

That is my toughest area as well. I must spend about 75% of my time on that area alone and still may not have mastered it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That area can be problematic - but it's become rather easy for me to deal with. I just use a liberal application of belt sander and dremel. :)

Seriously though, this is one place where my 2" belt grinder/sander works wonders. It's narrow enough to shape the shank without hurting the stem, and it doesn't feel as awkward as a disc sander. YMMV, but a belt just seems better for roughing in a pipe, and hand sanding for final shaping. I just can't get used to a disc. But one of those discs that Trevor uses, that might make me switch. Now, if only I could find one for less than the GDP of a small nation....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com