1st Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Holzhauer

1st Pipe

Post by Holzhauer »

This is my first pipe. It's made from a kit. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it considering I have zero woodworking experience. The shank/stem isn't quite flush and it could've used a little more sanding, but I think the shape turned out nice. I didn't have any way to buff it besides a small dremel buffing wheel that spins too fast for carnauba, so it hasn't been properly finished yet. Also, I had some wood discoloration problems that were mostly solved by the dye (thanks to sasquatch for the advice). The bowl looks a little more "pregnant" in the first two pictures than it does in real life, but I plan on making a few more pipes, so please let me know what you think and how it could be improved!

Andrew Holzhauer
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: 1st Pipe

Post by jogilli »

that's not too bad.. just need to do a little more sanding before calling it finished... overall it looks 10,000 times better than my first pipe :-)

james
Holzhauer

Post by Holzhauer »

Yeah, those two marks in the 2nd picture got there when I dropped it on the ground while sanding w/ 600. Needless to say, I didn't feel strongly enough about them to start the sanding process over :)
Andrew Holzhauer
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

looks good for a first. I'd recommend you do all sanding with the stem attached to the shank. It will help prevent that rounded edge your shank has.
Holzhauer

Post by Holzhauer »

e Markle wrote: I'd recommend you do all sanding with the stem attached to the shank. It will help prevent that rounded edge your shank has.
Thank you, great advice. I started out doing that, but took it off to avoid scratching it up with the heavier grit sandpaper. Is there any way to protect the attached stem while sanding the shank? Painters tape?
Andrew Holzhauer
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Holzhauer wrote:
e Markle wrote: I'd recommend you do all sanding with the stem attached to the shank. It will help prevent that rounded edge your shank has.
Thank you, great advice. I started out doing that, but took it off to avoid scratching it up with the heavier grit sandpaper. Is there any way to protect the attached stem while sanding the shank? Painters tape?
Why not use a heavier grit on the stem? It will smooth out just as well as you work your way up to the finer grits! This is one of the first great lessons I learned on this forum.....Try it, you'll like it! Hell when you start making your own stems, you've got to approach it with files and work your way on up. I'm happy with finishing up at 800 grit, but what ever fits your fancy.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Those blotches stained out not bad, huh?

Agree w/ what's been said - keep the stem in, don't worry about scratching it - shape it and finish it as though it's part of the wood.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Holzhauer

Post by Holzhauer »

Sasquatch wrote:Those blotches stained out not bad, huh?
Yeah! They almost completely disappeared. Thanks again.
Andrew Holzhauer
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice pipe there, especially for your first one! great job, keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice first! I really like the grain orientation. It's unusual yet very interesting. I agree with what others have already said as far as improvement. Except in very rare occasions under extenuating circumstances, I always shape with the stem in place for a seamless transition. Your stem is also over bent. Shoot for a more subtle bend slightly above parallel with the rim. Over bent stems looks like basket pipes as opposed to graceful artisan pipes in most cases.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Holzhauer

Post by Holzhauer »

Good catch! I didn't even consider re-bending the stem. It looks a little bit more elegant now IMHO.

Andrew Holzhauer
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Andrew,

Very nice first pipe. A hell of a lot better than my first one. It looked like you could go to battle with it (way too big and bulky)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The bend is perfect now, IMHO. Nice, easy fix.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com