Best pipe kits?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ClaytonClaw

Best pipe kits?

Post by ClaytonClaw »

I'm just about finnished with my first pipe, just the staining and buffing left, and i'm allready itching to start working on a second pipe.

Since i don't have the tools required for drilling I'd like to order a kit. My first pipe is made from a Pimo kit, so I'd like to try out a new place.

Any recomendations?

(I promised Tyler to post pictures of my first pipe when it's done, hopefully some time next week)
jeff

Post by jeff »

Mark Tinsky at www.amsmoke.com and Tim West at www.jhlowe.com both provide pre-drilled kits as well as raw materials for when you are ready to have a go at the whole deal.

Jeff
ClaytonClaw

Post by ClaytonClaw »

I found a link to P. E. HERMANN at this site. Have anyone tried them out? They had kits and were pretty cheap. I expect the shipping to be much faster from Denmark to Sweden.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I will second Jeff's recommendation of Mark Tinsky.

I've watched him drill blocks for kits, and if there's anything visibly wrong at all with the block (cracks, flaws, etc.), he finds another one to send.

His kit rejects were what I used to learn to carve a pipe.

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

I can only comment on Mark Tinsky's kits, as his are the only one's I ordered. Well worth the money. Mark will customize the kits as you request. For example, I requested a specific stem on one kit (pipe number two), and a specific diameter for drilling the draft hole on another (pipe number four). Mark delivered both times. Regarding prices, I don't think that Mark is the cheapest out there, but all three kits I ordered from him turned into smokable pipes, so I have no money wasted in bad wood.

For a look at the pipes I made from Mark's kits, take a look here. They are pipes one, two, and four.

http://hometown.aol.com/jmbspell/myhomepage/index.html

Good luck on your pipe making adventure!!
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Hey clayton

A fellow swede ...hur e läget kompis ;) have not tried P:E Hermans pre drilled briar but have bought blocks form him in the past, good dry stuff from a nice man.Hard to get in touch with someites..i seem to recall

Lycka till

Best
Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

(shameless plug)

I plan on, sometime soon, offering kits for sale as well. I'll post a message when I'm setup and ready to begin. One of the things I plan on offering is a proper churchwarden kit since it seems nobody else does.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ClaytonClaw

Post by ClaytonClaw »

Well, I'm gonna try out Hermann. Mostly because of the proximity.

A churchwarden kit sounds interesting, I've been thinking of making one.