11-03

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jos

11-03

Post by Jos »

Hi Folks,

here's my latest effort, out of the cellar yesterday:

13 cm/5.1" long, weight 27 g.

Critique, please ...

Regards, Jens
Massis

Re: 11-03

Post by Massis »

I don't know if it's the pictures, just me, or actually there, but it looks as if the stem actually tapers out from the shank and then back in again...
I'd say smoothen the taper on the mouthpiece and you've got a very pretty pipe.

A very special stain job aswell, looks a bit rust-coloured in some areas, but I like it.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

nice work. :thumbsup:
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,

Thanks for Your comments !

Massis,
Massis wrote:I don't know if it's the pictures, just me, or actually there, but it looks as if the stem actually tapers out from the shank and then back in again...
I'd say smoothen the taper on the mouthpiece and you've got a very pretty pipe.

A very special stain job aswell, looks a bit rust-coloured in some areas, but I like it.
Not so special actually, this results from poor photography, edited with crappy software on a little Netbook.
Here's better pictures:

Regards, Jens
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Jens, I really like this pipe. I think it is a classic looking pipe and it deserves some good old fashioned smoking time on it.

J
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice looking pipe. I really like the stain color. I agree that the shank appears to have a reversed taper all the way until the stem starts to taper toward the bit. In some of the pictures the stem appears wider in diameter than the shank. I would consider this shape a volcano. If you were shooting for a billiard you need to move the thickest part of the bowl up a bit. For a billiard, this one is bottom heavy. If you were shooting for a volcano-ish billiard then I think it looks good. The slot at the bit end is a bit sloppy but not the worst I've seen. Overall, a handsome pipe. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

I think the optical illusion of the reverse taper is caused by the heavy underside of the stummel, which makes the shank look extra thin near the stummel.

I think it would make a very handsome pipe if you started the taper on the stem a bit earlier towards the shank, thus also decreasing the taper's angle.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments!
The slight reverse taper was actually unintended, but I thought it makes a nice flow, not
exactly classic but kinda danish (it reminded someone on a german forum of a Georg Jensen),
so I let it go ... the stain color is a 50/50 mix of brown and bordeaux red, and actually the same I used on # 12 - looked even better with some grain underneath ...
Yes, the bit end is a bit sloppy, and too thick - it's actually my first try in acrylic, and I didn't dare to sand as far as I should have ...

Regards, Jens
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I have the same fears and issues with my stems (mostly acrylic). I get that little dip down below the nice clean fishtail on the hole.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com