Las Pipa Del Sasquatcho

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Las Pipa Del Sasquatcho

Post by Sasquatch »

More classic shaping recently - trying to hammer out some really straight straights.

Aaaaand that's enough of that.

I find it funny that a freehand takes me at least as long as a traditional English pipe. Not having a set standard to work to actually slows me down. I think the stem on this pipe is kind of nice, subtle and complimentary, but next time I'll try something that mimics the angle of the briar, I think.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Re: Las Pipa Del Sasquatcho

Post by Nate »

I thought I'd do a Sas 'retouch' to help you with your pipe. You see the blue lines, well they're curves. I think the yellow area is just flames. The rest is proportional.

In all seriousness, I really like the freehand. Well thought out, nice job! I am really liking the billiard also, esp the blast, handsome shaping too. The cumberland tapered stem on the bulldog is super sweet, love cumberland! Nice work man!!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Nate wrote:I thought I'd do a Sas 'retouch' to help you with your pipe. You see the blue lines, well they're curves. I think the yellow area is just flames. The rest is proportional.

In all seriousness, I really like the freehand. Well thought out, nice job! I am really liking the billiard also, esp the blast, handsome shaping too. The cumberland tapered stem on the bulldog is super sweet, love cumberland! Nice work man!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like a 2 year old went after that pipe with a box of crayolas!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Bike racks.

After school.

Yer dead meat, Nate.

:lol:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Bike racks.

After school.

Yer dead meat, Nate.

Uh oh....

:lol: Sorry man, I was cracking myself up making that!! :) All in good fun!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Whenever I'm drawing multi-colored lines on pipes I kinda laugh and think "As if these guys should give a shit what I think."

Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I probably shouldn't comment since we've had a bit of ..ah, what the hell..
The first one.. really nice classic form, but the finish and detailing is where it really shines. Excellent blast, color, the ring and the bevel at the top of the chamber, all very nice, rich quality.
I don't like most rhodesians (did I spell that right?) so I'll skip the second one.
The double-plateau freehand is great in every detail, I think, except the stain on the plateau at the top of the bowl looks odd, splotchy lighter red and dark. Maybe, it's just the photo? I don't know what it is, but I don't like it (just the top plateau). I'm not sure if darkening the entire area would work better or not?
Seriously, I'm not hostile.
Mike
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote:I thought I'd do a Sas 'retouch' to help you with your pipe. You see the blue lines, well they're curves. I think the yellow area is just flames. The rest is proportional.
I enjoyed that Nate. :)
Sasquatch wrote:Whenever I'm drawing multi-colored lines on pipes I kinda laugh and think "As if these guys should give a shit what I think."
I think it makes sense Sas. It's much easier to follow what you're suggesting on a pipe. I always feel like I'm making up locations on a pipe (the spacial center of the shank's epi-focus). All of that being said, you ARE a pretentious jerk. :P

I really dig that first one BTW, like so many of those older group 1 or 2 Dunhills. Very cool proportions... especially along the azure vertex of the tertiary horizon.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Mike Messer wrote:plateau at the top of the bowl looks odd, splotchy lighter red and dark. Maybe, it's just the photo? I don't know what it is, but I don't like it (just the top plateau). I'm not sure if darkening the entire area would work better or not?
Seriously, I'm not hostile.
Mike
I agree with this. I wasn't thrilled with the treatment here, and I may give it another go. One of the things I was trying to avoid was what see quite often on plateaux-topped pipes, and that is the stain penetration right around the first 1/4" or so of the sides. I DID avoid this but I DIDN'T a real good job on top.

Ernie, I think you're right about the tertiary horizon, and I think it shows up so strongly on that pipe because of the unbounded but finite nature of the rim bevel.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Me gusto el billiardo; es muy billiardish. Me gusto el freehando tambien.

Also, I thought the vertex looked more octarine than azure, but I'm pretty unschooled in tertiary horizonology.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:
Ernie, I think you're right about the tertiary horizon, and I think it shows up so strongly on that pipe because of the unbounded but finite nature of the rim bevel.
Wow, and I hadn't even picked up on the finitely unbounded rim bevel - you are a true master.
BeatusLiebowitz wrote: ... I'm pretty unschooled in tertiary horizonology.
Pfff - it shows.

:)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote: ...One of the things I was trying to avoid was what I see quite often on plateaux-topped pipes, and that is the stain penetration right around the first 1/4" or so of the sides....
Sometimes, to touch up carefully, I use the corner of a piece of thin cardboard (from Pop Tart boxes). Dip some stain on a pipe cleaner, then touch the cardboard to it. The cardboard won't hold much stain. I test it on a larger piece of cardboard to make sure I don't have too much. Then apply the stain to the pipe with the little piece of cardboard, repeatedly, but slowly until I get it.
You might try something like that using a dark color.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Love love love the blast.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm not a big fan of most freehands but I love the first two. Very nicely done and perhaps your best work to date, IMHO. On the freehand, I think if you follow Nate's diagram and advice you'd definitely have....well.....just another freehand which I'm not a big fan of. :lol: :P
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

@ Nate. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@ sas,

Very nice pipes! Especially the free hand, but thats because im partial to free hand crafting.