My first pipe-making attempts...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ScoJo

My first pipe-making attempts...

Post by ScoJo »

I posted some pics in an album ("ScoJo") in the photo gallery. These are my first attempts at making pipes. There are two of them, carved from pre-drilled cherry wood "kits" with stems provided to me by pipe-carving friends. I would be interested in feedback. Be honest!!
JMB

Post by JMB »

Really cool ScoJo, really like the way you showed the grain. Blends with the style & stem. Looks like it is flat on the bottom, if so cool, I like those kind.
JB
jeff

Post by jeff »

Impressive work scott. Briar should be on the menu for your next pipes.

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

Definatly nice! Great job on the shape.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very nice job ScoJo. Great shapes!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

The overhead shot shows more of a curve on the left side then right side, I think. The shot of the right side and the shot of the left side look different... OH wait. I'm looking at 2 different pipes aren't I... nevermind. See I could just delete my comments and not be embarrassed but who was ever hurt by being embarrassed?

So the only thing I see is that overhead shot thing. On the good side I like the shapes and your handle on symmetry is very impressive for your first few pipes. How long did they take you? (my own ego wants to hear you say A LONG TIME cause it would have taken me that long to come up with something that good at the beginning!)
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Thanks for the nice words. I realize that I am a little off with my symmetry but that will improve with time (I hope!). That shot does show a little more curvature on one side than the other. But that first pipe is looking better now that I have tweaked it thanks to some advice I received (thanks, Tyler!).

I have about 1 weekend day and 3 shorter evenings into the first pipe. The second pipe I have about 1 longer day of shaping into. Neither of these is sanded to anything that would pass for a final grit, and I still have to finish them (probably just buff and wax - I have been told cherry doesn't really take stain well). The whole process would not have been possible without extensive reading of this site and watching the videos. This has been great! I can see how this could become an addictive hobby. But acquiring tools is going to take a while. I thought making pipes was supposed to be CHEAPER than buying them!

8O
jeff

Post by jeff »

ScoJo wrote: I thought making pipes was supposed to be CHEAPER than buying them!

8O
HA! :lol:
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

heh... yep it ain't cheap...

Good work...

Where did you get Cherry wood kits?