Tenon chamfering procedure

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
TRS
Site Supporter

Tenon chamfering procedure

Post by TRS »

I'm wondering what procedures some of you guys are using. I've been getting by using a file, but it's just getting by. The surface of the bevel usually looks really scratchy and unsatisfactory, but the worst part is that it seems like I'm pushing the tenon (delrin) a little with the file and it bends slightly off center, leaving a slightly uneven chamfered edge. It doesn't seem to affect the fit at all, but it's something cosmetic I'd like to correct. I'm going to start practicing integral tenons and thought I'd brush up on this while I'm at it. Thanks!

Tim
flix

Re: Tenon chamfering procedure

Post by flix »

I sneak up on it with progressively higher grits of sand paper. Shiny areas get sanded down after checking the fit, then when I have it close to perfect, a good buffing with white compound. Looks pretty good to me...
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

To chamfer the outside of the tenon a bit I use nail files from a beauty supply store while the stem is turning in the lathe. They are also great for filing on the stem and come in many grits. The countersink tool from pimo works great to chamfer the inside of the tenon just a bit. Just a light touch on the end of the tenon and you are good to go.
Regards,
Tim
JMG

Post by JMG »

flix wrote:I sneak up on it
He's like a ninja.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

WOW! Sneaking up on it with high grit sand paper . . . . using nail files from beauty salons . . . . a lathe!
Damn! i'v been doing it wrong this whole time. :( I cant go into any details, but my procedure involved a nail gun, two nine irons, one monkey wrench and a backhoe.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Boekweg wrote: Damn! i'v been doing it wrong this whole time. :( I cant go into any details, but my procedure involved a nail gun, two nine irons, one monkey wrench and a backhoe.
:)
BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I'm wondering what procedures some of you guys are using. I've been getting by using a file, but it's just getting by. The surface of the bevel usually looks really scratchy and unsatisfactory, but the worst part is that it seems like I'm pushing the tenon (delrin) a little with the file and it bends slightly off center, leaving a slightly uneven chamfered edge. It doesn't seem to affect the fit at all, but it's something cosmetic I'd like to correct. I'm going to start practicing integral tenons and thought I'd brush up on this while I'm at it. Thanks!

Tim
Interesting. I just bevel it when I prep the tenon, and I've only got 1/4" (?) out from my jaws. It probably bends a tad, but it doesn't last. I just use a machinist's file (with the fine teeth), and it leaves no discernable scratches.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Just chamfer it with your tool bit. You'll need to work both the X and Y axis simultaneously, but if you can't do that, you probably shouldn't operate a lathe anyway. :D

TJ
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

@Boekweg
Don't forget the weight lifting belt.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com