Elektra Beckum Bas 250g bandsaw

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Massis

Elektra Beckum Bas 250g bandsaw

Post by Massis »

First of all, my apologies for creating yet another "is this a good tool" topic.

I've been on the lookout for a second hand bandsaw for some time now, and have come across one that is within budget and looks decent.

The model is an Elektra Beckum bas 250 g, also known as a Metabo bas 250g.
It's a rather small model, and the cutting clearance is 10cm (3.95 inch), will this be enough?
As I see on Jaume Hom's website for example, his medium plateaux blocks are about 50x70x90mm so I would be able to cut them in all directions.

The saws for it are 1712mm long (5'6") and range from 6.4 to 12.7mm wide
Some more specifications can be found here:
http://www.metabo.de/eb/com/en/produkte ... 25007.html

Does anyone have any experience with metabo / elektra beckum bandsaws?

I have found new prices for this machine ranging from €230 to €400.
The second hand model I plan on buying is in new condition (barely used) and would cost me €175...

Thanks for not killing me for posting yet another of these threads, thanks even more if you can actually give me some sound advice...

Massis
geigerpipes

Re: Elektra Beckum Bas 250g bandsaw

Post by geigerpipes »

Massis

I have no personal experience from Using either the Elektra Beckum Bas 250 or the Metabo version but recently having bandsaw trouble I did some online searches in tool forums and neither have recived good reveiws.My guess is that they are china made these days.That said 10cm clearance is enough for cutting briar..I would recommend an inca bandsaw (our is the 342.186 model) you should be able to find one used and it is of good quality.. We've had ours for 7-8 years now I bought it used then for around 200€ and with some modifications it is still going strong.
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It looks like a decent saw. And it has roller bearings - which are very nice to have. I've never used that specific manufacturer, but it looks similar to the Craftsman brand saw my parents have, and love.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The few Metabo tools I've had were top quality. It really took a lot of effort to kill them.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Massis

Post by Massis »

The seller wanted €250 first, I got him down to €175, so I decided to take the risk and buy the darn thing.

It even comes with the subframe.

Only downside: the 240km (=150miles) drive to go and get it :-D So it'll be another week or maybe 2 before I can go and pick it up...
Massis

Post by Massis »

The day before I planned to go out and buy this bandsaw, I came across another interesting deal: An Elektra Beckum bas 315 4 WN 55. Same company, same type of bandsaw, but one size up.

This one cuts up to 160mm (opposed to 100m), has 2 speeds (pulley system), was rarely ever used but built back in the day when Metabo made their own tools instead of having them made in China and best of all, only €25 more than the other one.
Not to mention that it was only half the drive...

I went out and picked it up this morning, and it runs beautifully!

Thanks again for the advice guys!

edit in bold ;-)
Last edited by Massis on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Sounds like another fine example of no reason to get in a hurry. You got an even better machine for a totally great price. :thumbsup:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

That was a steal...congrats and happy cutting
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
Massis

Post by Massis »

Slight correction, I obviously forgot the word "more". It was €25 more (totalling at €200), not just €25. That would be ridiculous as most of these machines go for around €300...