First Effort

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sawdust

First Effort

Post by Sawdust »

Hi All,
This is my first serious effort at pipe carving. It's not really my first pipe, though. 30 years ago I made 1 1/2 pipes but they were pretty ugly. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Jim

e Markle

Re: First Effort

Post by e Markle »

Hey that's not half bad. The color is nice, the shank/bowl transition is decent, and the bowl has at least some "cheeks" to it.

If you're going to have the shank taper that much, I would suggest you continue that same slope into the stem itself. It looks like there's a slight change in the angle perhaps a quarter inch into the stem.

I wouldn't complain about a tad more curve to the front of the bowl, but that's probably personal preference more than anything.

I'm assuming that's a premade stem, so of course the button needs some attention, but that seems to come a bit later for most of us.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Not bad at all. The shank may be a touch long, but a very nice looking pipe none the less. Very impressive for such an early pipe. Well done.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Sir,
i congratulate you on this fine looking effort! I presume that it is not as classical in the shank -cheek -bowl transition as someone from the classical corpus would like it to be,but it is after all a beautiful billiard with a good looking grain!

Best ,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nice pipe! that blow's my 1st effert out of the water lol.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I think it's a great job.
Regards.
Felix

Pienso que es un magnífico trabajo.
Saludos.
Félix
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Thank you for your kind input. There is certainly room for improvement but that gives me something to look forward to on the next one!

Jim
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

One of the nicest first attempts I've seen. At this point, the best exercise is to compare your pictures to pictures of similar pipes from well established makers and note the differences in what you like and dislike on both. Even better is to compare them in person. After that, try to incorporate what you like on the next attempt and keep doing it. Nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Sorry I didn't resond a little quicker, I just finished reinstalling Windows after a virus :(. Thanks for your complement wdteipen! I was using an old Comoy I have as a kind of guide but if I had been looking at it while shaping it would have been real helpful.

Jim
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Man it is hard for me to believe this is your first pipe. You seem to be a pro at this already. I find myself coming back to your pick when i log onto the forum. Your pipe is absolutely awesome! :notworthy:
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

That's a beautiful pipe, especially for a first effort! Great classic work. Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com