Band work

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
prolax14

Band work

Post by prolax14 »

could anyone explain to me or point me to a post of how to properly fit on bands and what tools are needed for cutting/finishing bands etc. Im just trying to learn as much as i can about them.
Thanks,
Zach
DMI

Re: Band work

Post by DMI »

If you mean metal ones take a look at this:

http://www.thurmann.dk/UK-index.html

There is a video at the bottom of the page.

David.
prolax14

Post by prolax14 »

yeah thats exactly what i mean, especially on the bulldog, what is used for that and how is it done? just a metal ring slid on the shank? or is there more technique to fitting it? thanks sorry for the newbie questions
DMI

Post by DMI »

Repair bands are normally fitted by finding the closest undersize fit, heating the ring so it expands and pushing it on.

With heavier rings you will need to cut the shank down to get the ring on then glue it in place.

I've done lot's of repair bands but haven't tried my hand with a heavy ring yet even though I bought a dozen a couple of months back.

David.
prolax14

Post by prolax14 »

What source do you get your bands from? I found some decent ones on pipe makers ephoriam(spelling?)
DMI

Post by DMI »

I was lucky enough to buy a mixed boxed of nickel, copper & gold plated on ebay from a French seller in St.Claude.

Most online pipe suppliers sell bands but I think the prices are way high. The best selection I have come across is at P E Hermans.

http://shop.hermanns.dk/group.asp?group=12

David.
SWM

Post by SWM »

DMI wrote:I was lucky enough to buy a mixed boxed of nickel, copper & gold plated on ebay from a French seller in St.Claude.
Ah, that was you! :filth-n-foul:
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

SWM wrote:
DMI wrote:I was lucky enough to buy a mixed boxed of nickel, copper & gold plated on ebay from a French seller in St.Claude.
Ah, that was you! :filth-n-foul:
:ROFL:

I've done that a couple times - and had it done to me more often. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
prolax14

Post by prolax14 »

haha alright ill keep my eye out on ebay...idk if im gonna be able to out bid kurt though :fencing:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

prolax14 wrote:haha alright ill keep my eye out on ebay...idk if im gonna be able to out bid kurt though :fencing:
No worries there - I've got very little in disposable income these days with the kids dancing in competitions all over the place, the school tuition, etc. I can't recall the last time I paid cash money for something outside of household necessities. I've been trading and bartering for pretty much everything I need these days.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bloodysafety

Re: Band work a little late and off topic

Post by bloodysafety »

so now that we know how to install a band is there any way to replace a band that has fallen off without using a new band or glue?
Alan L
Site Supporter

Re: Band work a little late and off topic

Post by Alan L »

bloodysafety wrote:so now that we know how to install a band is there any way to replace a band that has fallen off without using a new band or glue?
Option 1: epoxy (not technically glue!).

Option 2: pin it on with tiny little pins, which you'll have to make yourself.

Option 3: cut the band and resolder it using hard jewelers' solder. It will now be a hair smaller.

And yes, I've done all three. I much prefer epoxy.
bloodysafety

Post by bloodysafety »

aok so epoxy seems to be the most suitable method in this case. the pinning thing sounds like it would be more for a cracked band or what ev.! good ideas and thanks for the tip!