Sanding disk attachment for lathe?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
withro

Sanding disk attachment for lathe?

Post by withro »

Hello all. I been perusing the forums for about a week now and just signed up for an account today. I think this is a great resource and have already picked up quite a few tips.

I am a very novice maker and thus far have completed 1 kit and 2 pipes that I drilled myself. I have taken the plunge and purchased a lathe. I've watched Tyler's videos (thanks Tyler) and saw the sanding disc attachment that he had for his lathe. I have been looking around for something similar but have not found anything yet. I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction. Is there a website that has this? Is this a home-made thing?

Thus far I have been using my friend's belt/disc sander, but I was hoping that I could use my lathe for this and save the cost of purchasing a sander myself.

Thanks for any comments.

-Withro
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just about any sanding disk that can be chucked in a drill or attached to a DA sander can be used on a lathe - as long as you have a Jacobs chuck in the headstock.

The types of disks vary greatly, and there's a lot of variation in what each maker likes and uses - or even if they like disks at all....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com