Canted Pot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

Canted Pot

Post by DaGamba »

Would love some opinions about this pipe:

All the best,

Pär
JMG

Re: Canted Pot

Post by JMG »

Great color choice.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Beautiful and elegant.
Regards.
Felix

Bonita, y elegante.
Saludos.
Félix
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thank you guys.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

NIIIIIIIIIICE!
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm going to be blunt here, because I think you want it.

It's okay.

Part of what I don't like is the diameter of the shank. It's a little too delicate for the bowl stature, and it's also a bit long. In addition, the shank may be one solid, single diameter from face to bowl junction, but that works against you visually. The shank should taper, ever so slightly, and almost imperceptibly, from shank face to bowl - larger end at bowl. As it sits now, the shank appears to have a reverse taper, thinning out slightly near the bowl. This is an optical illusion, but what we do is all about perception.

Other than the nitpicking on the shank, it's a nicely executed pipe, and one that you should be proud of. The taper on the stem is well done, and I like the forward angle of the bowl. Well done!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

KurtHuhn wrote:I'm going to be blunt here, because I think you want it.

It's okay.

Part of what I don't like is the diameter of the shank. It's a little too delicate for the bowl stature, and it's also a bit long. In addition, the shank may be one solid, single diameter from face to bowl junction, but that works against you visually. The shank should taper, ever so slightly, and almost imperceptibly, from shank face to bowl - larger end at bowl. As it sits now, the shank appears to have a reverse taper, thinning out slightly near the bowl. This is an optical illusion, but what we do is all about perception.

Other than the nitpicking on the shank, it's a nicely executed pipe, and one that you should be proud of. The taper on the stem is well done, and I like the forward angle of the bowl. Well done!
I definitely agree with Kurt's optical illusion...perception, statement. A thought I often consider... if it looks wrong, its wrong, even if it measures to be precicely right.
I also agree about the shank being too thin, especially noticeable in the top view.

Other ideas...
I think the shank could be longer, but with a shorter stem, and on a pot, should usually not taper, or should appear not to taper. I also think in the top view the stem should not flair out, or should not flair out so fast from the shank lines. The bowl might also look better if it did not flair out as it goes down...sides more perpendicular to the top. It also appears too long front to rear, compared to left to right in diameter.
I would also like a little more color in the light grain areas.
But, despite all of that, I like the pipe...very solid looking work, nice finish.
Forget about it,
M.M.
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

KurtHuhn wrote:I'm going to be blunt here, because I think you want it.
Yes sir, I do. And I guess nitpicking about things on a pipe is what makes a world of difference. So nitpicking is what I want! :)

I did post this pipe, not because I'm particularly proud of it, but because there are things about it I'm not sure about. My main concern was about the bowl. The shape, size and how it's canted. So thank you for pointing my eyes in the direction of the shank.

How about the overall length of the pipe? If I would shorten the shank, would that mean that the stem also needs to be longer?

Thanks for the comment.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I think the overall length is good. So yes, shorten the shank and lengthen the stem.

Also, after my morning coffee, I noticed that in the top view you can see the departure angle of the stem from the line of the shank. This is a bit abrupt, so I personally would soften that with a bit of a fishtail. It just eases the transition from one line to another.

Also, I've been looking at the bowl. Specifically the back of the bowl near the shank. It looks almost like the cheeks have been cut a bit too lean in that area when compared to the front. The shape side to side is nice and pleasing, but there's something a bit "off" about the back of the bowl. It's possible too much material was removed from that area. Millimeters count! :wink:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thank you so much for these comments. It's really helpful. Helps me look at my pipes with new eyes.

I just realized how this sounds...
DaGamba wrote: I did post this pipe, not because I'm particularly proud of it, but because there are things about it I'm not sure about. My main concern was about the bowl. The shape, size and how it's canted. So thank you for pointing my eyes in the direction of the shank.
Lol. I didn't mean it that way. Sounds a bit like I wouldn't appreciate your opinion. What I meant was, that I was so hooked up on looking at the bowl that I completely missed the shank, so to say.

All the best,

Pär
JMG

Post by JMG »

Not sure if this is this place to post "fan'hood" of Pär, or not. However, I just received the "Something, something" pipe in the mail yesterday and I have to say that I am VERY pleased with it. Thanks for a great pipe, Pär!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

:D Thanks a bunch, JMG!