Pipe #38 Lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Pipe #38 Lovat

Post by wdteipen »

I wasn't going to post this because it's not my best work but decided I'd like some validation of the problems I see with it. Please give me some honest criticism. Thanks.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: Pipe #38 Lovat

Post by Sasquatch »

I dunno Wayne, that one looks pretty sharp to me. The only thing that I'm not totally sold on is the overall bowl shape - it's just a little pudgy, maybe drifting toward a brandy shape. But I wouldn't say it's ugly, and the whole thing looks crisp. The stem is maybe a touch longer than a traditional lovat.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
FredS

Post by FredS »

I like.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A classic Lovat, well executed, with excellent grain.
Congratulations.
Regards.
Felix

Una Lovat clásica, bien ejecutada y con excelente grano.
Enhorabuena.
Saludos.
Félix
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Here's where I'm confused. The lovat I recently posted has a shorter stem but it looks a little too long. This one, although longer looks proportionate. Is there a "formula" for the length of the shank stem on a lovat. It looks like maybe you could section it into thirds. ???.

The grain orientation is superb. The bowl shape is a little distracting to me (personal preference).
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Brandon, there's no specific formula that I know. You can go research about golden ratios and pieces of pi, but what has to happen for a pipe to "look right" seems to be more about balancing sizes and shapes than about actual measurments. Your pipe is fine in terms of actual "here's how long the shank is, here's how long the stem is" sort of measurements but the barrel is both too long and too fat so the pipe presents as very big on that end.

You COULD start with a pipe that does have fairly defined measurments and generate a pipe from that - take a "regular" billiard, where the bowl height and the shank length are roughly the same, and the stem is the same as the whole of the stummel. If you say "I wanna make a pipe in these general proportions but it's gonna be a lovat" you COULD proportion it that way and put the stem length as half the regular stem. But that's not going to guarantee you a good looking pipe - you still have to get the shank built right and the saddle cut appropriately.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I have seen that in billiards but wasn't sure if there was something similar for canadians / lovats. Billiards seem to be fairly defined as to proportions.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Wayne, I really love this pipe man. The grain is just great and I really like it's subtlety. My only critique would be that the stem seems to be just a touch too long...maybe 1/4" to 3/8: shorter, but that's just personal preference.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Pipe #38 Lovat

Post by Tyler »

I'll suggest that the bowl could be better as it goes past the shank--in the "cheeks" area. The way I think about bowl shape for a pipe like this is to go for a shape of bowl that looks like it was turned on a lathe w/o a shank. On one side you did a better job than the other (the shank right view is best) You did it best on the side that's easy to see when standing at the wheel. :)

I also agree that a very slightly shorter stem would be nicer.

Tyler
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ok, to totally thread-jack Wayne, would you (who noted stem length) shorten the saddle portion or the shoulder (the part the same dia. as the shank) portion?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Pipe #38 Lovat

Post by Tyler »

Nate wrote:Ok, to totally thread-jack Wayne, would you (who noted stem length) shorten the saddle portion or the shoulder (the part the same dia. as the shank) portion?
Using your terms, the saddle.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tyler wrote:[Using your terms, the saddle.
Ok, thanks Tyler!
FredS

Post by FredS »

Tyler wrote:
Nate wrote:Ok, to totally thread-jack Wayne, would you (who noted stem length) shorten the saddle portion or the shoulder (the part the same dia. as the shank) portion?
That would be the part you can't shorten on a finished stem of course.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Nate

Post by Nate »

FredS wrote:
Tyler wrote:
That would be the part you can't shorten on a finished stem of course.
Indeed!