Oliveball

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

Oliveball

Post by DaGamba »

I drilled this piece of olive some 6 months ago and didn't know what to do with it. It had big cracks on one side. So I tried to make a round pipe. Not so easy with only a sanding wheel.... :shock:

Thanks for looking,

Pär
ND Pipes

Re: Oliveball

Post by ND Pipes »

:)
like it :)
ehhehehehehhe.....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
DMI

Post by DMI »

That looks pretty round to me.

I don't turn my pipes so I know that getting something truly round is not easy.

Not sure about the extension though, it may be the lighting but it appears to bend rather than curve which looks odd.

David.
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

you know, I really am digging this pipe shape, it is interesting. I would be intrigued to see further work on the idea without the flaws and maybe some work on the extension. Saying this I would smoke that pipe in a second
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thank you guys. I am quite aware of the flaws in the pipe. I too like the shape. I will try to make a better and improved model of this in the future. And I will make it with briar. It was really fun to make and I think making a "real" one would be even more fun.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

olive is a cracking wood :) mostly. Its hard to find well cured olive.

it is a round pipe though, grats :thumbsup:
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey Da Gamba,
interesting workout on this ball shaped pipe,but the crack bites my eye on every pipe and mostly on olive wood because i am myself involved in carving & curing it.Cracks happen because there is a lack of real knowledge to the whole process of curing some rare thousand Year old piece of olive-wood by the trader and of course not to forget the old prejudice that is knocking the door signed "it really is not briar but still smokes rather amazingly well " and despite the unilateral interpretations of the main stream. Knowledge is required to produce some fine briar and it is the same with olive wood , not each olive is the same there are hundreds of kinds and only a few of them are delivering the high quality material that is needed for a good pipe.
The biggest crack i got on one pipe was thinner than a hair and it stayed my working pipe,i never had Grand Canyon stile cracks on a pipe, of course you can crack anything if you don't smoke it in properly but that is another story....

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Dear Abi,
I had no intention to hurt any ones feeling. The crack in the wood The crack int wood is basically my own fault. I just don't have the knowledge and I didn't have the patience to let it dry well. I personally love olive wood and would want to work with it more, if I could find a good dealer to sell it. And I like how it smokes.
I'm sorry if I offended any one. The comment that it takes briar to make a real pipe was more in the line of a joke. A not so good one, I know....
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Dear DaGamba,
I am sorry if my comment sounded harsh or in that direction ,it was absolutely not my intention.I understand your statement and i am far away to advocate here some glitches of the material used.I was more of a critique to the suppliers and dealers that just flash you some nice looking pictures on the net taken from a 'good angle' but on your doorstep after the postman's 'ding-dong' it is a cracked up piece of wood.They often just don't take the time to harvest & cure it properly, and as i stated earlier there is no doubt that briar is the King of pipes and by his side the Queen is the olive tree.

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Crack or no crack, olive just give an amazing taste to the smoke. Briar is king, but I agree, olive is the queen. If only the rest of the world can taste olive once at least! :)
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I think the design is very striking. I really like it.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com