Growing bamboo?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Charl

Growing bamboo?

Post by Charl »

Has anybody ever tried growing the bamboo used for pipes? I was thinking that it might be worth the while, especially because according to "common lore" they grow so quickly. I tried to get to the scientific name of the ones suitable for pipes, but had no luck. Anybody out there with more info?
e Markle

Re: Growing bamboo?

Post by e Markle »

I planted some bamboo as a screen a couple of years back, and I've thought about taking a spade to it to see what those roots/rhizomes look like. I'm curious, but I doubt the boss would like me digging it up :)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I don't have any really helpful advice, because bamboo around here is bout as popular as Kudzu.
I can say that for whatever species we have here, don't plant it in a "contained area," becase it spreads like wildfire for some reason when set in a perimeter.
Check out the wikipedia for bamboo, it usaully lists, depicts and describes the different species and other vital info for each of them. On some it lists the uses for each of them as well so that could help at least narrow don the suspects. Hope this helps

*EDIT*
I did find that the "Ochlandra Travancorica" has the smallest diameter at maturity of 1-2",and most sugggested harvest times are 5-7 years, not sure if that may help. There is a place in Rwanda supposedly experimenting with bamboo uses/species. Not sure how close you are to there, but they may be able to at least point you in the right direction if you could contact them?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm not sure whether there's a particular species that's used, but what most pipe makers use is the rhizome. From what I've read on the subject you can train the rhizome to grow straight-ish by using a trough and paying close attention. See also "wangi" - the proper name for it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Aah! Thank you very much guys. Just the 2 words: "rhizome" and "wangi" helps a lot. Bamboo is quite popular here in SA now, probably because it is being marketed as a renewable resource. There might be a nursery out here somewhere that'll be of help.
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Well this right up my alley since I am a in School at night for Horticulture. The Rhizome looks just like the bamboo you know, except the Nodes are really close together. If you can find a Patch of Wild the Rhizomes usually grow straight. I have some here I can dig up. I just dug some up for a Propagation Project. I have cut Rhizomes in my Greenhouse right now just waiting for next Spring. I will see what I can "DIG UP" and send you some if you would like.
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

can I get in on this dug up bamboo action?
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

I will see what I get next Week Weather Permitting :D
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials